Wednesday, December 28, 2005

100 Days of Justice League Prelude: Legends #3

Legends #3
Story: “Send for…the Suicide Squad!”
Plotter: John Ostrander
Scripter: Len Wein
Penciller: John Byrne
Inker: Karl Kesel
Letterer: Steve Haynie
Colorist: Tom Ziuko
Editor: Mike Gold

Scene: An unruly mob has gathered outside Titans Tower.

Unruly mob: Grrr. We hate superheroes.


Sarge Steel: Now I know how Louis XVI felt when those frogs stormed the Bastille. Well, let them eat cake!

Changeling: Didn’t Marie Antoinette say that?

Flash: Why are you here, Steel?

Sarge Steel: DC needed to extend my copyright. Also, President Reagan said I could do us all a favor and shoot you if I want.

Flash: Damn, where’d I put my steel pipe?

Changeling: If you’re going to shoot someone, shoot Godfrey and instantly turn this into a three-issue mini-series.

Flash: The Constitution says my right to fight crime supercedes Godfrey’s right to free speech. C’mon. Let’s go see if Starfire has found that peephole I drilled in the wall.

Changeling: I'm a lion for no reason.

Sarge Steel: (brandishing a pistol and looking at his reflection in the window) Go ahead. Make my day. You handsome devil...

Next scene: A top secret military bunker that may or may not be in South Dakota. I’m just sayin’…

Captain Boomerang: I use slang and bad grammar so that the readers know I’m actually Australian.

Amanda Waller: I’m a big black woman and I don’t take no guff.

Blockbuster: I stole my pants from the Hulk at the last DC/Marvel inter-company softball tournament.

Colonel Rick Flag, Bronze Tiger, and Deadshot (entering the room to the Thin Lizzy song “The Boys Are Back in Town”): Man, we’re studs.


Captain Boomerang: Blah blah blah. I like to hear myself talk.

Waller puts an explosive bracelet on Boomerang.

Captain Boomerang: Blimey!

Waller: Shut it. It was that or a genital cuff.

Captain Boomerang finally shuts up.

Waller: Even though Brimstone has been going on and on about how he’s going to kick our asses, he decided to walk from New York City to Mount Rushmore.

Brimstone: (standing atop Mount Rushmore) I’m king of the woooorld!

Next scene: Some alley…

Billy Batson: Man, I’m lame.

Some girl named Lisa: I’m lost. Wanna hang out.

Batson: Whatever.

Next scene: Mount Rushmore.

Flag: There’s our quarry dead ahead. Any last questions?

Captain Boomerang: (looking up at the mountain) Yeah, tell me again. Which one of those guys is Nixon?

Brimstone: Raar. I’m Brimstone and I’m gonna kick your asses.

Deadshot: Let me get this straight. Even though Firestorm, Cosmic Boy, and Vibe all blasted him unsuccessfully, I’m supposed to shoot him with this teeny laser gun.

Flag: I will now spout some totally bogus scientific mumbo jumbo to explain why it will work.

Deadshot: Huh. This coming from a guy who wears his dress uniform into the field.

Blockbuster rips George Washington’s head off of Rushmore and chucks it at Brimstone.

Captain Boomerang: Even though it won’t do any good at all, I’m going to throw a boomerang at Brimstone. Man, I’m lame.

Brimstone: Raar. I’m gonna kick your asses.

He blasts the Enchantress and Bronze Tiger.

Enchantress: Finally – my moment to shine! Uh, abracadabra!

Nothing happens.

Enchantress: Hocus pocus!

Still nothing happens.

Enchantress: Alakazam!

Still nothing.

Enchantress: Man, I’m lame.

Bronze Tiger: Try wiggling your nose like on Bewitched.

Next scene: Bruce Wayne grimly stares out of Jason Todd’s hospital window…brooding…ever brooding.

Wayne: It’s getting worse out there.

Todd:…(awkward silence)

Wayne: The streets are aflame.

Todd: …(more awkward silence)

Wayne: And we’re supposed to just stand here doing nothing.

Todd: Got a mouse in your pocket? You’re the only one that’s standing. I have a broken leg thanks to you.

Wayne: Aw, c’mon! I had perfume in my eyes! I couldn’t see a thing. Really! What was I supposed to do?

Todd: Sometimes I just don’t think you care any more.

Wayne: Don’t be ridiculous! You know I love you, baby!

Todd: It wouldn’t hurt you to say it once in a while.

Wayne: I’ll tell you what. When you get out of here, I’ll take you out to the nicest dinner you ever had. We’ll make a night of it!

Todd: Can we go to Chuck E. Cheese’s?

Next scene: Back at Mount Rushmore.

Flag: Oh, I forgot to mention -- that laser rifle is only good for one shot.

Deadshot: One shot?

Flag: Yep.

Deadshot: Who designs a laser rifle to kill a monster that defeated the Justice League and makes it good for only one shot?

Flag: I think his name is Stein.

Deadshot: Just keep Blockbuster lobbing presidents at that thing until I can get in position.

Brimstone: (Picking up Blockbuster) Raar. I’m gonna kick your asses.

Blockbuster: Raar?

Captain Boomerang: Strewth! He fried the poor cobber!

Flag: What?

Deadshot: I’ve got him in my sights, but the gun won’t shoot.

Flag: What?!

Deadshot: Heh. Just kidding.

Laser rifle: Spweeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Brimstone: Fwoomf!

Bronze Tiger: Enchantress, you have to save me from that fireball heading right for us. Man, I’m lame.

Enchantress: A La Peanut Butter Sandwiches!

A snowstorm spontaneously appears.

Enchantress: (turning towards the Bronze Tiger) Mwahaha. Now I will deal with you.

Bronze Tiger: Yoink!

Bronze Tiger performs the Vulcan Death Grip on the Enchantress.

Bronze Tiger: I’d say all the magic pushed her over to the dark side except she did jack shit.

Next scene: President Reagan and Superman are walking in the White House Rose Garden.

Reagan: Even though it’s obvious that G. Gordon Godfrey has an agenda and is whipping the American public into a frenzy, and even though it’s common sense that superheroes are the good guys, I’m going to order all superheroes to cease their public activities. What do you think?

Superman: I’m sure everything will work out fine, sir. Up, up, and awaaaaaaay!

Reagan: What a kiss-ass.

Next scene: Billy Batson sits with Lisa Sutton and her family at their dining room table.

Batson: How’d we get here?

Lisa: Mom and Dad found us trying to trade that hobo a bunch of aluminum cans for that Spam, remember?

Batson: Oh, yeah. Man, I love Spam.

Godfrey: (on the television) Grrr. I hate superheroes.

Lisa: What an asshole!

Mr. Sutton: Young lady, shut it. That man is performing a service. To demonstrate my outrage, I will now cast this Superman action figure into that roaring fire.

Lisa: Why is there a fire in the fireplace? It’s 80 degrees outside.

Batson: The burning! The burning! Man, I’m lame.

Next scene: The Phantom Stranger and Darkseid debate whether Darkseid can turn children against their heroes.

Phantom Stranger: Can not.

Darkseid: Can, too.

Phantom Stranger: Can not.

Darkseid: Can, too.

Phantom Stranger: Can not.

Darkseid: Can, too infinity.

Phantom Stranger: Damn!

Darkseid: Of course, it’ll all be mute once they’re eaten by my Warhounds.

Phantom Stranger: You mean "moot."

Darkseid: What?

Phantom Stranger: It's "moot," not "mute."

Darkseid: Whatever.

Next issue: “Cry Havoc…!”

Read More


Anonymous daniel apodaca said...

I'm gonna have to agree, and say that this review format doesn't really do it for me.

12/29/2005 05:22:00 AM  
Blogger Christopher Burton said...

That's cool. As I replied to a previous commenter, I didn't make it clear (hindsight is 20/20) that I'm using comedy (well, I think its funny anyway) on the "serious" comic and "serious" (perhaps I'm better at that) on the comedy comic. Once I get into the JL issues proper, it'll be a fairly traditional approach. I was just trying something different with Legends. Not a true review, per se. More like the stuff that Gail Simone used to do in her You'll All Be Sorry column at CBR.

12/29/2005 08:17:00 AM  
Anonymous Giffen said...

I just realized what you're trying to accomplish here.

WAY too much time on your hands. Might I suggest Half-Life 2 for X-Box?

I find it helps if you pretend the muties are editors.

Anyway... Good luck.


12/29/2005 10:13:00 AM  
Blogger Christopher Burton said...

Oo, I think I just keep confusing matters. To remove all doubt, I'll just come out and say it: I will be writing straight, traditional reviews of the Justice League issues themselves. I won't be "re-writing" them in a serious manner. These Legends issues are just a lark.

There. Now where's that X-Box? Damn muties.

12/29/2005 11:13:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a bit tired of Brimstone, and Godfrey saying the same thing over and over, and everyone saying man I'm lame but I liked Reagan's jelly bean scene and thet Phantom Stranger and Darkseid bickering. At least Brimstone's about to die!!!

12/30/2005 12:52:00 PM  
Blogger cheng said...

Do want to know the magic of online games, and here you can get more ro zeny. Do you want to have a try? Come on and ragnarok zeny can make you happy.You can change a lot iro zeny for play games. And you will enjoy yourself at the same time. Playing online games can make much cheap zeny. And you can use the ragnarok online zeny do what you want to do in the online game. Come and join with us. We are waiting for your coming.

3/25/2009 10:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home