Tuesday, November 29, 2005

There Is Not Enough Love For Comic Book Superheroes Out There

I just do not think that enough fans out there these days TRULY appreciate their comic book heroes. That is why it warms the cockles of my heart to see a fan out there not ashamed to admit that s/he LOVES her/his favorite comic book hero! Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you (which was linked to me by my pal Chris)....Rom & Me, by Ceoia.

Here is a sample of the grief Ceoia suffered when s/he first learned that Rom had been killed in the sequel comic Marvel did in the late 90s (they did not have the rights to Rom, so they tried doing a series about the OTHER characters from the series without using Rom,
Now today I just finished reading a new set of books about his sons. The story took place some time after the devastation of his world. Now it was rebuilt and he was it’s leader; it’s Prime director. He was chosen as such by the Galadorian people. He was married to Brandy Clark, a woman who fell in love with him when he came to Earth as a Space knight to fight the Dire Wraiths. (now he was a man again) The Beyonder sent her to Galador at her request. Now she stood by his side with their two sons, Balin and Tristan.

ROM was revered as a kind of Messiah, a Savior. He was revered so for all his heroic deeds as a Spaceknight, an honor that he greatly deserved! Under his rule, Galador was prosperous and united in peace.

Now I am filled with an unexpected pain. This pain was like no other, a grief that felt like drowning! I read the passage again and my eyes filled with bitter tears, tears for the One that I have loved for so long! I knew at least, that when the book was canceled, that he was still lived in the Marvel Universe but now he was ....just....gone....They had killed him. He died on his ship when it exploded due to a surprise attack by the Dire Wraiths. He was on his way to a planet called Treion, to negotiate a truce between warring factions there when his ship was attacked.

My mind just couldn't take this, it reels with shock and pain. The pain is so great that my emotions went numb. I went numb, unable to function properly. I have been through Sept 11 and being abandoned by my spouse, both I stood and felt, but this..this was just to much for my mind to bear! It hurts so bad that I couldn't even cry! My body screams, "NO!!"
and
This fills me with a terrible bottomless grief. This agony is very deep, I loved him for over 20 years, half of my life! Now he was just..gone. I realized that what broke inside was my heart! I cried openly now. I hugged the figure that I made of him and cried hard on it and I choked out to it, "Why? Why couldn't they just leave you alone, ROM!"

Than I kissed and hugged it, crying again. I cried till my face hurt. All I thought was, "Why?? Why couldn't they just leave him alone?" This pain was deep and unrelenting, it was bottomless. It went beyond tears. It surpassed and overstepped them. The feeling of sadness and emptiness felt like drowning, not even my tears could comfort me.

The next few days were a real hell. I went numb with shock and grief. I went through the motions without feeling anything. I just couldn't stop thinking, "They should have left him alone I felt hollow and dead. A piece of me died with him that day. I had loved him so much, so hard and for so long! Through my own stories I wrote, I could comfort him and we could be together, helping one another, having each others back!


Later, in a dream, Rom came to her/him.

S/he sees him passed out in a chair on his ship.

The rest...well...I will let Ceoia describe to you, with her/his words and art...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I kneel before him and hug him
__________________________________________________

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I said to him as I kissed him, " I love you."
__________________________________________________

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I bend over and try to lift him from the seat
__________________________________________________

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The feel of him is so agonizingly real that I scream out: " NO!! Please...Please don't let this happen!
__________________________________________________

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Oh God, Please DON'T let this happen!!
__________________________________________________

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I WON'T LET YOU DIE!!
__________________________________________________

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

.....At that we become encased in a shimmering pink bubble of energy; I could feel it's great power inside me! Than, I felt an explosion beneath us and I screamed "NOO!!!" as the ship blew up! Everything went a blinding white than black!
__________________________________________________

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Slowly, as if in a dream, I aproached him and embraced him. I rubbed my face on his chest as I wept on him. I cried from sheer joy! He was alive! He was ALIVE!!
__________________________________________________

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I am overcome with emotion and I kiss him tenderly on the lips
__________________________________________________

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Rom and Me kissing.
__________________________________________________

Ladies and gentlemen, THAT'S love!

So the next time you are irked at what a writer is doing to a character you enjoy...well...take a look at Rom & Me, and think, "There, but for the grace of God, go I."

Read More

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beyond words.

11/29/2005 08:03:00 PM  
Blogger Bill Reed said...

Dammit. You had to share this with the world, didn't you? I had hoped never to view the horrors again!


AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHHHH



Besides, we know ROM only loves *me,* that harlot.

11/29/2005 08:19:00 PM  
Blogger Mark Fossen said...

Thank you, Brian!

When I first saw this on Millarworld a while ago, I thought Ceoia was male. Thanks for clearing that up.

It's still 195% creepy ...

11/29/2005 08:58:00 PM  
Blogger Brian Cronin said...

Ceoia is actually quite vague on the subject.

But after examining the photos enough, I just cannot believe that that is supposed to be a dude.

And the name DOES end with an a, so I figured I'd scrape my initial impulse to do a "s/he" thing, and just go with her as a female.

11/29/2005 09:16:00 PM  
Blogger Guy LeCharles Gonzalez said...

Oh. My.

I used to like ROM, so this leaves me feeling icky.

I've never read Nightwing, but isn't this the same thing people accuse Devin Grayson of?

11/29/2005 09:50:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Oh sweet Lord in Heaven.

That is disturbing on so many levels.

And here, I was just about to post over on 2 Guys Buying Comics why ROM was one of my favorites growing up.

Now? Now it's like finding out your third grade teacher just got arrested for child molesting.

Ew.

11/29/2005 10:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

all my Rom makeout dreams feature him with the toaster head and shining metal ass. that was sexy

11/29/2005 10:52:00 PM  
Blogger T. said...

Ceoia seems quite...bottom heavy. With a pronounced wedgie.

I've never read Nightwing, but isn't this the same thing people accuse Devin Grayson of?

What really disturbed me is that she discovered Dick Grayson as an adult and became so obsessed she changed her last name! I never knew Grayson wasn't her real last name. That's creepy. Unless that's one of those urban legends. If so, maybe it can be discussed in Brian's next legend column

11/29/2005 10:59:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Now? Now it's like finding out your third grade teacher just got arrested for child molesting."

I had the same feeling.

What, Rom? I wasn't good enough?!

11/30/2005 04:00:00 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

When I first saw this a while back, I came to the conclusion that it was a fake. COuld I be wrong?

Scary.

11/30/2005 10:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home