Wednesday, December 21, 2005

"Then we are decided? Then we are decided."¹

I've had some time to ponder all the entries for my contest, and I have decided a winner. First, some comments:

Lots of good pitches out there. You people love your characters, I can tell you that much!

John wants to kill of Phil Urich. Absolutely nothing wrong with that!

Al Brown's proposal about Brother Voodoo made me laugh so hard I shot milk out of my nose - even though I was drinking soda at the time!

Gary knows way too much about the Legion of Super-Heroes. Check out his blog for some excellent sketches backing up his pitch.

Jason's Nixon Robot must happen in a comic book soon. Holy Mother of All That's Holy, the Nixon Robot is awesome.

David should have written 1980s television situation comedies like Family Ties. Then Mallory could have hit Stephen in the head with a tire iron occasionally.

Anonymous likes Moon Knight. That is a good thing.

Daniel Apodaca turns Doop into a super-villain. I always suspected it!

Gordon comes up with JLEbay. Brilliant.

So whom did I choose? Well ... it came down to Al Brown's or Gordon's. Tough choice, I'm sure you'll agree. After much wrenching soul-searching, I decided to give my copy of The Coffin to ... Gordon. Sorry, Al (and everyone else). The reason I picked Gordon is because his idea for Starman makes perfect sense, in its own twisted way. He takes the character to the next level without messing with Robinson's take on him, and his pitch is relevant and has the possibility of going a lot of different ways. Man, this was a tough choice.

Anyway, read the pitches here and one here. Lots of fun comics waiting to happen out there! And far too many geeky comic book fans!

So, Gordon, if you're out there, e-mail me with your address. Since the link is there, if anyone else wants to e-mail me with death threats because they didn't win, I'll just forward them on to the FBI. You can't threaten the Future Overlord of DC Comics!

Thanks for everyone who pitched a story. Good times.

¹ Well, that quote is probably way too obscure for all you nerds out there, but if you can tell me where it comes from, I will send you (mentally, of course) a Get-Out-Of-Hell-Free Card and you can read Faust #12 all the livelong day!

Read More

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I missed the original post, so the world is once more safe from the "Machine/Man" (sic) series I almost pitched to Epic back in the day. As well as the Church of Universal Truth/Uncreated war, the greatest crossover anyone will ever write (take that Infinite Crisis!), which would ultimately lead to an Avengers lineup that has Pete Wisdom in it.

12/21/2005 06:37:00 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Ah, John, you are wise! You may read Faust #12 with impunity. What a fun musical Jesus Christ Superstar is.

12/21/2005 06:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, I was wicked pissed when I read that JLEbay thing, because it was so breathtakingly brilliant that I knew I had no chance.

But I'm touched and honored that I was even mentioned in the same sentence as Gordon.

Damn you, Gordon! DAAAAAAAMNNN YOOOOUUU!

12/21/2005 07:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats, Gordon. Your pitch was, indeed, very cool.

12/21/2005 09:46:00 PM  
Blogger Brian Cronin said...

Congrats, Gordon!

Good stuff!!

12/21/2005 09:47:00 PM  
Blogger Gordon D said...

Al - too bad there's no separate prizes for Marvel/DC pitches, because - let's face it - yours totally rocks.

However, I thought we would both lose to Dave,
because his pitch has Nazi monkeys in it.

12/21/2005 10:23:00 PM  
Blogger thekelvingreen said...

Bah! No Esoteric Adventures of Solomon Grundy for you ingrates!

12/21/2005 11:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home