Friday, September 02, 2005

You May Actually Want To Pick Up 52

I must say, I was not all that looking forward to 52 (the working title for DC's new project which will explain what happened in the "One Year Gap" that the titles are undergoing between Februrary and March 2006), even when I heard that Grant Morrison was going to be involved with it.

However, now that I have heard a more detailed explanation, I think it may actually work.

The setup is this, Geoff Johns, Mark Waid, Grant Morrison and Greg Rucka will co-plot (I presume by co-plot, it means that they each say what they want to have happen, and the other co-plotter works it in) and script. I do not know if they will all script different characters in each issue, or story arcs (I am guessing the former).

That is all fine and good, but the key to the undertaking is the following...the co-plotter for the entire thing?

Keith Giffen.

What a brilliant decision!

Giffen will co-plot each issue and provide breakdowns for whatever penciller is working on that partiuclar comic (or, if they choose to go the "different penciller for each character arc" route, then he will provide breakdowns for the pencillers).

It is a brilliant idea because, as I have said time and again, Giffen's greatest gift comes in his plotting abilites. In addition, from what I recall about him, he is able to breakdown a book, art-wise, very quickly.

Therefore, the schedule shold not be a problem, and the fact that all the pencillers are working on the breakdowns of one artist will allow the book to have a much more cohesive feel.

Toss in the fact that JG Jones will be doing the covers for each issue (which is also reasonable to expect, schedule-wise, as Jones does about four covers a month already), then what you have is what sounds like a very strong comic book foundation.

Consider me impressed!...for now...hehe.

Read More

6 Comments:

Blogger T. said...

Tough call.

Pros: Morrison, Giffen, no Loeb involvement, no Winick involvement

Cons: 2 thirds of the Countdown team is involved, and they make for a craptastic combo.

Hopefully Morrison and Giffen can counteract the other two.

9/02/2005 05:27:00 PM  
Blogger Bill Reed said...

Yeah, what T said.

I really don't want to buy this. I have no desire to read about Infinite Crisis stuff. But... Waid... Giffen... and I tend to buy everything by Morrison...

Still. Bah.

9/02/2005 08:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any chance these'll be on the cheap side? $1.99 or something? YEah, I didn't think so either.

9/02/2005 09:39:00 PM  
Blogger T. said...

I wonder how jarring it will be to see the narrative styles switch. I'm trying to picture an issue going from MOrrison's smart, sharp dialogue to Rucka's excessive navelgazing narrative boxes and back again. Giffen guiding the process should give it some consistency I guess, even if the dialogue is bound to switch from good (Morrison) to awful (Rucka) and back throughout.

9/03/2005 01:28:00 PM  
Blogger Brian Cronin said...

That is why I would GUESS that each writer will also choose a particular character to write, so the change would be even LESS dramatic.

9/03/2005 03:59:00 PM  
Blogger T. said...

That could work. Also, maybe it'll be a series of arcs with an overlying theme and writers will be writing whole arcs.

I bought my first two Rucka written comics last week (Wonder Woman and Adv. of Superman) and the navelgazing was way over the top. I thought he was auditioning to be an emo songwriter or something. I hope he writes whole issues so I can skip them.

9/03/2005 06:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home