Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Cronin Theory of Comics - "Keith Giffen As Plotting God - Scripting Devil."

As many of you do, I'm sure, I have a few certain theories that I personally view as truths about comic books.

I understand that, for the most part, they are specific to me, but I am egotistical enough to believe that some of them are, in fact, universal theories.

The first one that I will share is "Keith Giffen As Plotting God - Scripting Devil."

I am a very big fan of the comic book creator Keith Giffen.

I think he's the bee's knees.

However, there is one rather large deficit in his comic abilities.

He cannot script his books for the life of him.

If you look back at Giffen's triumphs and failures as a comic book creator, invariably, the triumphs will be when Giffen is working with a separate scripter, and the failures will be when he is only scripting a book.

Justice League - Only plotted - It was good.

Trencher - Plotted and Scripted - It was bad.

Legion of Superheroes - Only plotted - It was good.

Thanos - Plotted and Scripted - It was bad.

Ambush Bug - Only plotted - It was good.

Suicide Squad - Plotted and Scripted - It was bad.

Heckler - Only plotted - It was good.

Reign of the Zodiac - Plotted and Scripted - It was bad.

Lobo - Only plotted - It was good.

Book of Fate - Plotted and Scripted - It wad bad.

L.E.G.I.O.N. - Only plotted - It was good.

Magnus: Robot Fighter - Plotted and Scripted - It...well, it wasn't that bad, but it wasn't that good.

Freak Force - Only plotted - It was good.

Legend of Supreme - Only plotted - It was good.

Superpatriot - Only plotted - It was good.

Ragman - Only plotted - It was good.

So there you go...."Keith Giffen as Plotting God/Scripting Devil", a Cronin Theory of Comics.

8 Comments:

Blogger Ed said...

Wasn't it Trencher, not Trenched? I always thought that book was pretty, but the story was awful.

12/29/2004 09:20:00 AM  
Blogger Brian Cronin said...

A universal truth, applicable not just to comic books, is as follows: He who types with broken arm is predisposed to typos.

In other words, you are absolutely correct, Ed, on both counts.

1. It is, in fact, TrencheR.

2. It DID look nice.

12/29/2004 09:49:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked Trencher, too. But it wasn't as good as his best work.

Remember PunX? That was Acclaim or some other company that didn't last long. Neither did the book. More good but not great stuff.

Damn. When Giffen's on, he is really on.

12/30/2004 10:48:00 AM  
Blogger Mr. Rice said...

Dammit, Lisa's stupid Laptop keeps making me "anonymous." I'm VERY nonymous, dammit!

12/30/2004 10:49:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about VEXT? It only lasted 5 issues, but it was good. Only I can't remember if he scripted it or not. Even if he did, I think we can chalk it up to being the exceptiont hat proves the rule.

1/01/2005 01:52:00 PM  
Blogger Mr. Rice said...

"The exception that proves the rule" actually doesn't mean what people think it means. "Proves" used to mean "tests" or "shows the fault in." The saying really means "The exception shows why the rule doesn't work."

Just a little bloody mary infused semantics for the day.

1/01/2005 03:49:00 PM  
Blogger Brian Cronin said...

I wasn't a big fan of the (scripted and plotted) Vext, but it certainly does have its fans out there.

However, an interesting side-bar, when Giffen is only scripting a DC book, it also seems like the book is more SUCCESSFUL as well!!

1/02/2005 03:31:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a diehard Giffen fan I must say...yeah, you kinda got a point. The exceptions I'll argue are Vext and Suicide Squad. Loved both of them. And Trencher and Punx I'd argue at least rank a "good, not great."

10/05/2005 05:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home