Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Daredevil #83 - Like Miller's Run - In a Good Way!

I can't help it. I would pick a different comparison if I thought it was appropriate, or if comparing it to Miller's run was INappropriate, but I can't help it - the best comparison for Ed Brubaker and Michael Lark's run on Daredevil is Frank Miller's Daredevil run. And that, to me, is a good thing, as issue #83, the second issue of the run, continues the excellent standard begun by the first issue, with, of course, the one big caveat.

The one big caveat, of course, is the seeming death of Foggie Nelson. I don't like it. Don't think it's a good idea (if it is not a trick, which it still could be), and I do not even think it is necessary to tell the story Brubaker wants to tell. However, from this point on, how about we just file the complaint and leave it alone, okay? What's done is done - so let me judge the rest of the issue, which was very good.

The Miller reference is to how there a number of subplots all being carried on in the story at the same time, all independent, yet tied in together ultimately. In addition, like Miller's run, there is a great deal of story in each issue - it is practically anti-compression. Finally, Brubaker writes the best Ben Urich since "Guess Who!"

As an aside, I like Stefano Gaudiano and all, but isn't it kinda weird to be known as "The dude you get if you want someone to draw just like Michael Lark"? I don't even know if I can tell which pages were done by Gaudiano, that's how Lark-ish he is!!

Meanwhile, pretty much every aspect of the plot is spot-on, in my opinion. Brubaker manages to basically make Daredevil an engaging:

1. Prison drama

2. Lawyer drama

3. Reporter drama

4. Superhero drama

And it totally fits!! No aspect gets short-shrift, as Brubaker balances each plot masterfully, while maintaining engaging characters with interesting dialogue.

I enjoyed Brian Michael Bendis' Daredevil.

I enjoyed Ann Nocenti's Daredevil.

I enjoyed DG Chichester's Daredevil.

I enjoyed Karl Kesel's Daredevil.

I even sorta enjoyed Kevin Smith, Joe Kelly and Denny O'Neil's Daredevil.

I think Brubaker will end up being the best Daredevil run since Frank Miller.

Read More

14 Comments:

Blogger Dean Trippe said...

i gotta agree. brubaker and lark are off to an excellent start. here's hoping there are no fill-in artists to break up the great vibe they've got going.

my only problem is that 'hard time' has already been doing the 'superpowers-in-prison' deal pretty well (despite the fact that they've just been canceled). it's the same reason the new direction in green arrow is bugging me, since the idea of a superhero mayor is already beind done in a more borderline-mainstream book.

anyway, i'm still enjoying the HELL out of this book, so i'll shut up now.

3/22/2006 08:40:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Not to be a party pooper, but aren't we only like 2 issues in to the run? Methinks it's a bit early to start comparing Brubaker's run to anything just yet.

3/22/2006 09:35:00 PM  
Blogger Jake said...

Chris, let's not forget Lebron James was the next Michael Jordan before he finished high school. Every player in the NFL draft next month will be another Steve Young or another Warren Sapp.

This has been a great two issues, but so far for me it's invoked the highlights of Bendis's run before he started writing about baby demons that made people kill themselves.

3/22/2006 10:03:00 PM  
Blogger Brian Cronin said...

If Brubaker was some new writer, without any history, then sure, I could see it.

But we know Brubaker's history, and it was just a matter of seeing him apply it to the comic - and he has done so expertly.

Two issues is enough, for me.

Thor #337 and 338 was enough.

Daredevil #168 and 169 was enough.

Justice League #1 and 2 was enough.

Saga of the Swamp Thing #19 and 20 was enough.

Daredevil #82 and 83 is enough.

3/22/2006 10:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd laugh* if the first page of #84 was Matt and Foggy, sat in there office, laughing and joking about how they got out of this jam between issues.

"An' YOU said, "Damn, we're in a tight spot.""

"An' YOU said, "Fog, you done said a MOUTHFUL!" HAW!

"...now let us never speak of this again."

"Hi, fellas!"

"Karen! Come on in!"

"Thanks! By the way, I spoke to my doctor. Apparently, I'm a virgin!"

"Hooray!"

"Eei-iii-ieiii. W-w-w-what's going on, gang?"

"Bulls-eye."

"You wacky Krameresque buffoon, you."

BU-DINK-ER-DEW-DOO puh-puk.

Remember, if you bought Infinite Crisis, THIS COULD HAPPEN.

//\Oo/\\
* - "laugh" = "weep tears of blood"

3/22/2006 11:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think all of the best runs in DD's history have shared an understanding that he's a only a so-so superhero, but you add him into a mainly non-costumed crime drama, legal drama, and he is electric. I guess you could put him in a mystery, but I'm not sure if Marvel is allowed to write mysteries. So I agree with everyone else that we're only two issues in, but if Brubaker recognizes that aspect of the character's history, I think he's off to a better start than Kevin Smith (apologies to Smith fans).

3/22/2006 11:59:00 PM  
Blogger T. said...

I think Brian Michael Bendis' run was light years beyond Miller's run, which was cool mostly because it was a 13 year old boys wet dream containing wall-to-wall ninjas, hardcore violence and scantily clad Elektra. Brubaker has a tough act to follow, as Bendis to me is the new DD standard to beat.

3/23/2006 08:37:00 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

Okay, Cronin - you asked for it. Remember: "the next time someone references Frank Miller's run on Daredevil (from TWENTY OR MORE years ago!), they must be beaten with socksful (sockfuls?) of quarters and made to read "The Clone Saga" and write a 30-page term paper on it!"

It's on. You're just lucky I'm out here in Hell.

3/23/2006 09:49:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

anti-compression?

Wouldn't that be the same as decompression?

3/23/2006 10:51:00 AM  
Blogger Comb & Razor said...

Saga of the Swamp Thing #19 and 20 was enough.

you probably mean Saga of the Swamp Thing #20 and 21, but i get the point.

3/23/2006 11:35:00 AM  
Blogger Brian Cronin said...

"you probably mean Saga of the Swamp Thing #20 and 21, but i get the point."

Haha...I actually wrote 19 and 20 first, then went and checked my issue numbers to see if I was right, then went back and forgot to change it!

So, basically, it was an even dumber mistake than you would think.

But yeah, #20 and 21 were amazing - there was no doubt that Moore was gonna leave Pasko in the dust.

3/24/2006 02:04:00 AM  
Blogger Brian Cronin said...

"anti-compression?

Wouldn't that be the same as decompression?"

You're totally write, Quaid. I was sitting there, thinking, "What the hell is the term? Compression or decompression"

I got it wrong, as you noted...hehe.

3/24/2006 02:04:00 AM  
Blogger Brian Cronin said...

" Okay, Cronin - you asked for it."

That is why I apologized right away for the statement, Greg! I even initially titled the piece "I'm sorry, but it's like Miller's run!"

Then I thought, "Hmmm...a reference that only, like, me and Greg would get...probably not a good idea"

3/24/2006 02:05:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our online shop are offering designer gucci handbags and discount christian louboutin pumps, No matter what you want, you will have all the information, we only sell top quality mbt trainers shoes for sale,discount coach handbag with cheap prices and reliable services.

5/02/2010 10:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home