Sunday, November 20, 2005

Marvel's David Manning?

So I'm reading Newsarama, and for one reason or another, I click on this story about a Scarlet Spider variant cover that they're doing for one of the parts of "The Other" crossover (I think I might have wanted to see the Ultimate Wolverine/Hulk preview in the same article).

So I read the press release, and these points in the beginning really staggered me -
Critics have continued to praise Spider-Man: The Other. Koben Kelly of Newsarama.com says, “In all honesty, this was the most fun I've had with a Spidey book in years.”

In reference to the previous sellout of Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #2, ComicFanatic.com says, “Not hard to see why this one sold out so quickly. Why? Because it’s that good.”
First off, I will admit, I am not familiar with Koben Kelly, so I guess he really is a columnist/staff guy at Newsarama, but from a quick search, all I see is a poster named Koben Kelly, so you folks would have to fill me in on whether he is on staff with Newsarama, or if they just quoted some random Newsarama quote. I cannot even find the quote that is cited, which is weird. Anyways, I am sure Kelly is a fine guy, but I DO find his position regarding the Other to be pretty silly (I mean, The Other as the most FUN you've had with a Spidey book in years? That is really sorta sad. I mean, even if you LIKE the Other...how is it the most FUN?!!? The story is INTENTIONALLY depressing!).

However, it is the SECOND quote, from "comicfanatic.com," that makes me think David Manning (the fake reviewer that Sony quoted in some movie ads). I clicked on comicfanatic.com, and there was NO site.

Sounds kinda fishy, huh?

Does anyone have information on this that they could share?

I'd gladly like to hear that this is NOT a David Manning, so please, if you know something, let me know.

On the other hand, if it IS a "David Manning," how weak is THAT?

EDITED TO ADD: Marvel just had the wrong web address. There IS a comic fanatic, and he DOES apparently really like The Other.

Which on the ONE hand, is great, as it means that there IS a reviewer, and it is not a "David Manning."

On the other hand?

That means there is some guy who thought that it was “Not hard to see why this one sold out so quickly. Why? Because it’s that good.”

Shudder.

Read More

8 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

Yeah, they just got the URL wrong... Here's where they got the quote from (it's actually a couple of lines spliced together).

11/20/2005 11:18:00 PM  
Blogger Brian Cronin said...

Ah, so Marvel just gave the wrong address.

Thanks, guys!

11/21/2005 12:23:00 AM  
Blogger Justin Steiner said...

I'm pretty sure Koben Kelly is one of the people who do the "Best Shots" columns on Newsarama.

11/21/2005 09:39:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Koben Kelly's reviews are inevitably the worst ones on that feature. Take this gem: "I've not had much exposure to DiVito's work until recently. It was quite a hard thing for me to not be upset by in the recent issue of Young Avengers."

11/21/2005 10:27:00 AM  
Blogger thekelvingreen said...

Critics have continued to praise Spider-Man: The Other.
Not myself and my colleagues at SBC. We've been panning it mercilessly, but I suppose Marvel don't mind that. :)

I mean, Pat Lee? Why?

11/21/2005 04:05:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Scarlet Spider.

The goddamn Scarlet Spider.

Look at yourselves, people! I hate comic book fans.

11/21/2005 05:49:00 PM  
Blogger T. said...

Koben Kelly's reviews are pretty good for gauging what to buy, so long as you do the opposite of whatever he says. He's very Bizarro-like in that way.

11/21/2005 06:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are perhaps the worst-written and least critical reviews I've ever read. He gave at least a B+ to EVERYTHING he reviewed, except for two token bad comics that he presumably included just to prove he wasn't totally undiscriminating. What a disgrace.

11/23/2005 11:02:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home