Saturday, November 19, 2005

This Comic Is Good - Polly and the Pirates #1

Often, when I show fellow comic enthusiasists places in New York, I make a point to take them to a Midtwon Comics. Thing is, I never buy anything, as I am generally caught up on everything that I need to be caught up on. I always feel a bit guilty about that, so the last time I did the "show folks Midtwon Comics," I made a point to pick out a book that I have not read, and I saw Polly and the Pirates #1, and I figured it would be nice of me to pick up the book Marionette is always raving about, so I bought it.

It is a good comic.

I am already a Ted Naifeh fan, as his art has always appealed to me, and Polly is no exception.

In fact, almost ALL of the coolness of Polly and the Pirates #1 is encapsulated in the book's art.

The book is about a young girl at an orphanage named Polly, who is a perfect little angel, as she is striving to live up to the idolized vision of her late mother that her father has instilled in her (her mother was a delicate flower, who would not even dare to break wind). Polly's best friend, fellow orphan Anastasia is anything BUT an angel. Anastasia wants to be like Meg Molloy, the famous woman pirate.

Most of the issue details the relationship between the girls, and Naifeh's art tells much of the story. The way he depicts the expressions on each girls' face is truly amazing. In particular, there is a scene where Anastasia relates what would happen if she were able to sneak off into town at night, and the movements of the girl as she tells the story - Naifeh should really win some sort of Nobel Prize for his depiction of this little girl's movements. He not only manages to pull of mobility well, he manages to make it look like it is the movement of not only a little girl, but a little girl trying to show off. Soooo impressive.

Finally, Polly (a girl so innocent that when she sneaks downstairs "to get a glass of warm milk" as part of a plot to sneak out, she actually GETS the milk and falls asleep drinking it) is shanghied by a pirate crew, who informs her that her "innocent" mother was really the dread pirate Meg Molloy, and that the crew wants Polly to be her mother's replacement.

If there IS a drawback to the comic, it is that it waits until the very end of the first issue to get past "setup," but like Ultimate Spider-Man #1 before it, setup can be good if it is, well, GOOD.

Polly and the Pirates #1 IS good, and the premise seems like it will be a lot of fun.

With the fun premise and Ted Naifeh's great art, I am sure this will be a series worth watching.

Read More

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have nothing to say here other than that Polly and the Pirates is awesome. Sadly, I'm pretty terribly uncreative when it comes to praising stuff.

11/19/2005 07:56:00 PM  
Blogger Chris Tamarri said...

Good call, Brian. I also really enjoyed Polly and the Pirates.

11/20/2005 06:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, for a comics blog, you fellas sure are stingy with the pictures.

11/21/2005 05:36:00 PM  
Blogger Melchior del Darién said...

Couldn't agree more. I'll come clean and say that every bone in my body was urging me not to like this book before I had even read issue #1. "Too cutesy, and probably treacly," I told myself, when I first read about the title. But the first isse turned me around completely. I second what you said in your review, and what commenters have posted: the comic is very, very good.

12/04/2005 02:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you know that the rappelz rupees? The players often forget to eat meal when they play the online games. In the game many palyers need the rappelz gold to up their levels. so they often search where can buy rupees, I think our website maybe is your best choice. Many friends told me that in here can get rappelz money, and here you can also relax yourself. so i hope more and more players come here to buy the cheap rappelz rupees</a

3/25/2009 10:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home