Thursday, February 24, 2005

Seven Soldiers #0...and OUR Seventh Soldier

First off, you may have noticed a seventh name on the side. That is Tom Fitzgerald. He will be the seventh member of the blog...our "seventh soldier," if you will.

Tom once had the gall to say he did not like a Grant Morrison project, so fear him. He is scary, like that Justin Davis guy.

As for the aforementioned Seven Soldiers #0, well...I liked it.

I mean, sometimes, it really is almost moving to see how Morrison does these things. He writes these comics...and he uses a lot of the same ideas (don't get me wrong, another speciality of his is using ideas that other writers CAN'T think up) as other writers, but he manages to make them just come out...better.

I think a lot of it comes from the lack of cynicism.

You could say the guy is too hip for his own good.

I would disagree, but you could say it.

But his work is not cynical.

And I admire the heck out of that. After you read the work of cynical writers, it just gets to you. It is like a fog covering you, and constantly following you with the wind currents.

In Seven Soldiers, Morrison introduces a big group of superheroes, and kills them all in #0, setting up the gathering of the NEXT Seven Soldiers.

That is such a hackneyed idea, but Morrison totally avoids it coming off like that. Partially by using new characters (who you have more leeway with), but furthermore, by actually spending so much time investing in these characters that you actually feel sad when some of them die.

It is really good stuff.

J. H. Williams is the man, obviously, on art. Although I must be the only person who is sitting around going, "What will that soap opera hound Mick Gray do now that J. H. is no longer using him?!?!?!?"

I really enjoyed it...and I'm curious to hear everyone else express their enjoyment!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed Seven Soldiers #0 a lot. As usual, he made me like the characters, which made the climax even more effecting. Looking forward to the minis. Also looking forward to Tom's blogging. Always liked reading his posts at CBR, and it will be cool seeing what he'll bring to the table.

2/25/2005 12:24:00 AM  
Blogger Mr. Rice said...

Homofabulosity.

Seven Soldiers #0 made me jizz.
He's gonna do all right here.

2/25/2005 12:59:00 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

But, Tom, you have to post. Don't be like Tadgh.

Also, welcome to blogging. It's like moderating a message board, except you're allowed to, you know, have an opinion. And since it's your blog, you're beyond reproach.

Which is why I can get away with posting pictures of my dogs over and over again.

"Who's house?"

"Tom's house."

2/25/2005 09:24:00 AM  
Blogger Alex! said...

justin davis said:

"I hated Seaguy."

I like the way you remind us of that, as if your notoriously stupid taste has any merit.

HAHAHA!

Zing!


-a

2/25/2005 11:50:00 AM  
Blogger Republic of Replicants said...

Nice blog.
I thought Seven Soldiers was a nice breath of fresh air.

I expressed my enjoyment on my own review at my blog.

With DC's Crisis2 minis and Seven Soldiers minis, it looks like 2005 is gonna be their year.

3/13/2005 12:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home