Friday, January 28, 2005

The Comics Should Be Good Interview Challenge

As you all may know, it is really hard for there to be such a thing as a "hard-hitting" comic interview.

This is because comic journalism is so marginalized that the badass comic journalists out there really cannot risk pissing off a popular comic creator or comic company, as they risk totally alienating their sources....which is not good.

In addition, let's be honest...the only thing that is gained out of a "hard-hitting" interview is the furtherance of the comic book culture itself. And I can totally see how that is not enough of a benefit for most writers. I mean, it really is a pain in the ass to actually have to put effort into defending your craft from some dude (and no, that is not sarcasm!).

So I just mentioned in response to the earlier thread that maybe more interviews should be done by dudes like us, people who have nothing to lose. If we piss off someone and they storm off, it really is not going to affect us.

With that being said, it's not like we would just act like jerks. We would just ask questions that other people wouldn't...like ask Meltzer about the consequences of Sue Dibney's rape that he promised. Stuff like that. Honest, this is not just an attempt to berate a creator.

So all you creators out there, here is our challenge....let us do a hard-hitting interview where we ask stuff that you wouldn't normally like to talk about. Like I mentioned before, I admit that there really is no benefit for you out of this challenge, so I do not really expect anyone to agree...but hell, it's worth a shot, right? I mean, it honestly is meant to be for the benefit of comic book culture overall...and that is a pretty worthy goal, no?

19 Comments:

Blogger Mr. Rice said...

We also promise not to put a picture of your face on the body of a swimsuit model at any point in time UNLESS IT IS REALLY FUNNY.

1/28/2005 07:32:00 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

Please start reading The Comics Journal, especially now that Dirk Deppey is editing it. Each issue is a bit of a turn away from the "all superheroes are bad" reputation the Journal has had in recent yea... well, since forever. This issue has a great Eric Shanowar interview, and next month is... shudder... Bendis.

1/28/2005 09:02:00 AM  
Blogger thetechnocrat said...

Interesting challenge. I'd like to see certain people roasted over the coals.

At least Joe Casey is visiting. The only person I think that is man or woman enough to step up is John Byrne. He seems to speak his mind regardless of how it sounds to others.

1/28/2005 09:27:00 AM  
Blogger Alex! said...

I'm ready.

I have lots of questions for lots of people.

-a

1/28/2005 09:28:00 AM  
Blogger Mr. Rice said...

Ed's right. Interviews in the Journal, even before it got stronger under Deppey, were top-notch. It's the online journalism that stinks to high heaven.

1/28/2005 09:48:00 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

And why do Journal interviews work? They go "hard-hitting" like Terry Gross hard-hitting, not like John Stossel hard-hitting. I think talking to a comics creator like it's investigative journalism can turn out just as bad as a starfucking, blowjob interview. Save that for the Cuneos, Perlmutters and Groths, and just get to the heart of the work when talking to the guy who wrote it.

1/28/2005 10:05:00 AM  
Blogger saulcolt said...

Feel free to ask me anything you want!

(except......who are you?)

saul
www.ssscomics.com

1/28/2005 10:07:00 AM  
Blogger obsolete said...

I can't believe we haven't heard from anybody yet!

1/28/2005 01:18:00 PM  
Blogger Alex! said...

I know... it's amazing isn't it?

We are so smart and pretty, you'd think the interviewee line would be around the block...

1/28/2005 01:30:00 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Hey, Saul took you up on it. He does that ECLIPSE AND VEGA book that I didn't like.

1/28/2005 01:37:00 PM  
Blogger saulcolt said...

Hey Ed,

To be fair the book you didn't like was "ECLIPSE & VEGA"!

and yes I would take you guy up on your interview

saul
www.ssscomics.com

1/28/2005 02:42:00 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Hey, I sort of inspired a posting. You must all bow down to me!

I don't even care if it's Mike Wallace-type hard-hitting stuff. I would just like better insight into the comics. Not to pick on Identity Crisis (okay, that's a lie, I do mean to pick on it), but why can't someone ask someone something like "Why did you allow all the red herrings simply as advertisements for a host of other books?" I mean, really! All these DC books now say, "Find out what happened to the Luthor armor!" I don't care to read fifteen other books, Dan Didio!

Good to see you, Saul. I'll have to check out your site.

1/28/2005 02:53:00 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Same difference. Especially because my fingers can't reach the ampersand.

Now, SAME DIFFERENCE. That's a comic I can get behind.

1/28/2005 02:57:00 PM  
Blogger saulcolt said...

Ed,

Im just funning with ya

saul
www.ssscomics.com

1/28/2005 03:08:00 PM  
Blogger saulcolt said...

Greg,

Nice to be here!

I like this site and read it often

saul

1/28/2005 03:09:00 PM  
Blogger Mr. Rice said...

OK, Saul, you'll be our first interview. We just have to read the comic first. So give us a bit so we can find it and read it and figure out what we don't like about it I MEAN WHAT WE LIKE.

1/28/2005 03:38:00 PM  
Blogger saulcolt said...

Joe,

Email me at saul@ssscomics.com and I will send you a package of books. This way you will feel guilty saying nything bad cause they will be free!

saul
www.ssscomics.com

1/28/2005 03:53:00 PM  
Blogger Mr. Rice said...

Alex, Cronin and I live are New Yorkers to varying degrees, but the other fellas are out west (or midwest for ol' silent Tadghghghgh).

1/28/2005 03:55:00 PM  
Blogger Brian Cronin said...

If you get comics, Joe...lend them to me!

1/29/2005 02:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home