Monday, January 03, 2005

Comics and Drinking

Now, anyone that's known me for longer than seven seconds probably is aware that I do, from time to time, enjoy a bit of imbibery. Bourbon is no stranger to my lips (or liver, or pants). Beer and I go way back. Sometimes I like to drink both of those things at the same time and feel nice.

What may surprise you is that I also like "comic books." Over the years, I've discovered that, at times, the two enjoyments I have there can be combined to form a happiness inside my brain roughly equal to 8.5 Awesomenesses. However, sometimes it does not work out well. I want us all, like a jovial family of drunken nerds (that will be a stretch like when Robin Williams plays "annoying") to discuss the good and the bad in drinking and comics.

Good #1: Some of the best comic talks I've had in my life were while soused. Tearing down Crisis, examining the hidden potential of eighth-string characters . . .in fact, many an idea I've posted at this very site first found root at while I was kissing alcohol. It's fun and you should try it, perhaps soon.

Bad #1: Some comics will not be fun no matter how much you drink. I remember when Ultimate Spider-man came out to much fanfare, I bought a copy and went across the street to a little pub and read it before a friend's party. It almost made the beer taste bad it was so boring. Later, some non-fan said, "Hey, what's that?" And I said either, "A shitty comic book," or "Let's make out." I can't remember.

Good #2: Some comics go REALLY well with drinking. The Lone Wolf and Cub series is one of the dopest comics of all time. And when you're a little bit three-sheets? Yeah, it gets even doper. Have you ever said, "Fuck, yeah, Daigoro!" on a subway? If not, you're doing it wrong. The entire comics output of one Garth Ennis also goes will with getting your drink on. From the highlights of Preacher to the normally unreadable Light Brigade, booze makes all Ennis work even better. It is almost as if he, too, enjoyed some sort of intoxicating beverage. But that would be silly, an Irishman getting drunk! Ha! 'tis to laugh.

Bad #2: You remember how I was saying great comic conversations can happen while everyone is drinking? Yeah, that was awesome. Good times. Anyway, this can go the wrong way. Some times Miss Sugarlips across the booth from you actually doesn't give three shits about 3D Man and would really rather you talk about something else, like taxes or whatever. Now, this is handy if you think Miss Sugarlips is an appalling beast, but if you ever want her to touch any part of you then you'd best figure out if she likes what you're talking about or not. (This is not to say all women don't want to talk about comics, or even all non-fangirls . . .some of them will listen to you no matter what you drone on about just so they can get that notch in their belt).

What are some other good and bad things about drinking and comics? Some other creators whose work is particularly well-suited for the combination? I'll tell you one that isn't: Reading Starlin while drinking kind of makes you want to punch yourself.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I know is every single Grant Morrison comic reads better if you're high.

Tom
P.S. I miss you guys.

1/03/2005 09:23:00 PM  
Blogger Mr. Rice said...

Yay! It's Tom!

1/03/2005 09:32:00 PM  
Blogger thetechnocrat said...

After a long night of drinking I arrived home. I decided that I'd take a bath. I drew the warm bath and thought, "Hey, If I'm really careful I can read my Marvel Saga comics in the tub!"
Yeah, that didn't work out. The consolation was that it was only a couple of Marvel Saga issues. No great loss there.

Never read comics in the bath after drinking.

1/05/2005 11:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The "Karmageddon" arc from the Invisibles is alright to drink to, but while you're still developing a buzz and can still hold an attention span. Issue six of the Black Hood (from !mpact Comics), a fun, great series, is also ok, with it's classic line "Fuck you! You think I need a lecture on how to pimp for a fuckin' horse?!?"

1/26/2005 04:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home