Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Comic bloggers' poll

Chris Tamarri, who set up the Comic Bloggers' Poll, has issued the results. The winners are here. In case you're wondering who voted, go here. Chris and Ed Cunard break down the winners here.

A couple of notes I want to make, because I'm a snotty arrogant bastard. In the artist category, I have nothing really to say. The top three - Quitely, Williams III, and Cassaday - are all fine. Morrison was the runaway winner for best writer, with Ellis and Vaughan coming in #2 and #3. The fact that Johns and Simone were in 5th is a little surprising, but not that much. Morrison is fine and dandy - I had him in second place - but as usual, I want more out of the Big Bald Scotchman. Vaughan and Ellis are trying different things, at least.

The Best Ongoing was a bit of a surprise. Fell won, not in a landslide, but it still won. Chris and Ed wonder, and I agree, whether people like Fell for the price. That would be a shame, because it's a good enough book, but it's an interesting topic to mull over. The guys at my comic book store were wondering the same thing. All-Star Superman came in second. I love Morrison, and usually like his work, but that's just silly. ONE ISSUE CAME OUT LAST YEAR! It was a good issue, but it was just one issue. And it wasn't perfect. This year it might be a very good candidate, but I'm puzzled about this one. I really wonder if people voted for it because of what they want it to be, and not what it is. But that's just me.

Villains United tied for best mini-series, while Infinite Crisis was second. That was kind of surprising. I haven't read either, so I won't comment. I'll get around to it. Jim Roeg really liked Villains United, and that's a pretty good endorsement for me.

The poll was certainly very interesting. Not a ton of surprises, but a few. Go check it out yourself. I think this is a very cool idea, and I hope next year even more people participate.

Read More

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is All-Star Superman actually on ongoing? I thought it was a 12-issue mini.

1/24/2006 02:39:00 PM  
Blogger Bill Reed said...

It's twelve issues of Morrison and Quitely, yeah, but there are plans to go past that, though not necessarily with both or either of them.

1/24/2006 03:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see The Science Fair and GrimJack made the list on minis, even if they both tied at 11.
I wondered about that whole All Star Superman thing too, seeing how low Frankenstein ranked on Mini Series I am assuming cause only one or two issues came out this year. Bit I still think that is vastly better than the Guardian.

1/24/2006 09:52:00 PM  
Blogger MarkAndrew said...

And Black Hole won for best reprint edition.

That should be more'n worth a mention.

In other news: Villains United.

What the CRAP?!

Take a story with some major, almost crippling narrative problems to begin with and throw in a heaping helping of editorial intereference: A few scattered, neato character bits and some reasonably purdy panels here and there do not make up for, well, ever other thing that happened here. The six issues of this comic were worth, like, 2 and a half panels of Killer Princesses.

But maybe I'm missing something.

Did anyone here like this?

WHY?

1/25/2006 11:37:00 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

I haven't read Black Hole, MarkAndrew, so that's why I didn't mention it. I was going to buy it last week, but the copy at Barnes & Noble had a huge rip in the jacket, and I won't put up with that kind of shoddiness. I'll get it eventually.

I'm sure I'll have something to say about Villains United in a few months, when I read the whole epic. We'll see. I can't speak about it now, though.

1/25/2006 01:04:00 PM  
Blogger Markus said...

>And Black Hole won for best reprint edition.
>That should be more'n worth a mention.

Your love of vaginas is clouding your judgement.
http://goodcomics.blogspot.com/2006/01/why-black-hole-was-my-favorite.html

1/25/2006 06:28:00 PM  
Blogger Brian Cronin said...

Klarion tying for first place is quite an achievement, considering how it had to compete against the other Seven Soldiers mini-series.

Damn, I should have given Klarion two points rather than one...hehe.

1/25/2006 08:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home