Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Three 6/8 Books That I Read So That You Did Not Have To

Same as always...I tell you about three comics that I did not hear a lot about this week, and then I ask you all to fill me in on comics that I did not read this week.

Spoilers ahead!!

Action Comics #828


You know what this book really reminds me of?

It reminds me of someone taking an analytical approach to what the Superman titles were missing, and meeting that need.

Remember when Jimmy Olsen would have fun plots?

Remember when Lois Lane would have fun plots?

You know, stuff not directly tied into Superman, and stuff that didn't involve some depressing things...just fun, interesting plots.

Well, this book supplies them.

Meanwhile, Byrne and Nelson are doing a wonderful job on the art on the book.

One thing I think that Simone might have missed out on is "what if this really WAS a separate entity who just messed with the electromagnetic spectrum so that only Polaris (or whoever she wanted to) could see her?"

And not even say that that would be spelled out for the reader, but just leave it open-ended...is she a multiple personality or is she really there?

I think that would have been neat.

But that is a very small complaint in an otherwise quite enjoyable issue...well, until the end.

The whole comic was going quite nicely, until the resolution of the fight is that characters from Gail Simone's current Infinite Crisis tie-in, Villains United, show up to take Dr. Polaris away.

Yes, the resolution of the issue has nothing to do with this issue at all.

I really didn't like that.

I mean, Simone writes both books, so the characterization of Black Adam was handled well (and Byrne draws Black Adam and Zoom really cool looking), but it just didn't seem right to me to have some other book swoop in to resolve a fight.

Annoying.

But not enough to damper what was a very strong issue, story and art-wise (the last page was an especially nice moment between Clark and Lois).

Recommended!

New Thunderbolts #9


I have a soft spot for Cliff Richards' artwork. I liked it on Buffy for Dark Horse, and later at Crossgen (and even later, at DC and Marvel).

I think he has a nice, unique style, so I was pleased to see him fill in for Grummett, even though he draws Abe Jenkins far too good looking (Grummett perfectly captures the "yeah, I may be a hero, but I still look like a loser" look).

In any event, this issue (which opens with a GREAT recap page, showing covers from classic Marvel comics that Radioactive Man appeared in) spotlights Radioactive Man, who has given radiation poisoning to all the people in Atlantis because a group of Atlantean terrorists killed a large number of Chinese citizens.

Namor travels to the land to get Radioactive Man to save them. Most of the Thunderbolts accompany them.

Meanwhile, the new "Photon" (formerly Captain Marvel) meets with the current "Photon" (also formerly Captain Marvel), as she is upset that he stole her name AGAIN. The scenes were quite funny.

Also meanwhile, the former Thunderbolt Songbird is investigating some things, and it ties into the Swordsman mystery, and it ends the book with a super-cool ending.

The Radioactive Man scenes were handled quite well, I thought, as Fabian Nicieza took an interesting look at the ramifications of having radiation powers.

Plus, he shows the hard choices people can sometimes make (and then justify).

Very ambiguous stuff, but done in a way that makes clear that there is no condonement for these actions.

I liked it.

Recommended!

Sabrina the Teenage Witch #67

After a couple of lackluster issues, writer/artist Tania Del Rio comes back strong with this issue, presumably because she realizes that there is the added pressure of Josie and the Pussycats guest-starring (it is one thing to do Manga versions of ONE Archie property, but TWO?!).

Blue Monday fans will LOVE this book. Absolutely love it.

But I think that people who just like quality comic storytelling will enjoy it as well.

The conceit of the issue is that Sabrina is feeling down about her boyfriend Harvey, and is jealous of the relationship her two witch friends have (and even THAT is tested when the guy witch becomes a popular male model)!

He eventually lets the fame get to his head (duh) and it comes to a point when he meets up with Josie and the Pussycats (who are portrayed a BIT odd), but it all comes to a nice resolution (even Sabrina and her nervous boyfriend have a great little moment), that is, until the ending - where we learn that the male witch did not quit modeling because it interfered with his schoolwork, but because of something on his chest - something the reader has not yet seen.

Spooky, eh?

I was worried that Del Rio had sort of stalled with the forward plot movement on this title, and I am glad to see I was wrong.

The character interactions are interesting, so are the characters, and her art is strong.

Recommended!

Wow...three recommendations...I better cut this out, I don't want you all to think I am getting soft or something....

On to the books I did not read that I would like you all to fill me in on:

Age of Bronze #20

Stray Bullets #38

Negative Burn Winter 2005

Flak Riot #1

Read More

5 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

I would just like to say that not only is Tania Del Rio a good artist, she's also hot.

6/14/2005 08:22:00 AM  
Blogger Brian Cronin said...

And now we know!

And knowing is half the battle!

Where have you seen her, Michael?

At MOCCA?

6/14/2005 04:21:00 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

Yeah, while waiting in line for Jeff Smith.

6/14/2005 05:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melody was bubbly and flirty, Josie was professional, Val a bit persnickety...isn't that pretty much the way the Pussycats are always portrayed, Brian?

Or did you mean the way they were drawn was odd?

6/14/2005 09:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for making a weird evening (we live just a few blocks from the ocean and there's been a tsunami warning going on all night) much nicer. The kind words are much appreciated!

Best wishes,

Gail

6/15/2005 01:40:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home