Thursday, May 12, 2005

YOUR Best of the Fantastic Four

Well, MarkAndrew suggested the topic, and I did basically bring it up, so let's play the game.

Marvel yesterday released a "Best of the Fantastic Four" collection.

It contained the following stories: Fantastic Four #1, #39 - #40, #51, #100, #116, #176, #236 and #267; Fantastic Four (Vol. 3) #56 and #60; Marvel Fanfare #15; Marvel Two-In-One #50; and Marvel Knights 4 #4.

So that is fourteen issues worth.

So if YOU had to choose fourteen issues of Fantastic Four for your "Best of the Fantastic Four," which fourteen would you choose?

Since I would, to be honest, probably just pick all Lee/Kirby issues, and I would just be called a Silver Age-loving fuddy duddy, I am changing the rules to state that no more than HALF (in other words, seven) of the issues can be by Lee/Kirby.

Here are my picks:

Astonishingly enough, when I look at the Fantastic Four, I find myself choosing seven issues...in a ROW!!

Fanastic Four #45-51 - Except for perhaps the early Amazing Spider-Mans, I cannot recall a more amazing stretch of issues as these seven.

#45-47 introduce the Inhumans with an awesome story with amazing art.

#48-50 up the ante with the introduction of the Silver Surfer and Galactus (or, as Peter David joked, Frankie Avalon and God), and then...

#51 rocks us from a whole other angle, as we see the effect that heroism can have upon even the most foul-hearted of people.

#236 the first Byrne doom story. Definitely classic stuff.

#247 Byrne's "How does Latveria view Doom?" story. Really cool idea.

Annual #17 where Byrne used the Skrull cow plot. Funny stuff.

#258 the famous Doom "interlude."

#267 when Sue loses the baby.

#350 and 352 the Walt Simonson FF/Doom fight, including one of the trippiest Fantastic Four comics ever - #352, the "time travel" issue, where Doom and Reed battle throughout time AND the comic (so that the fight travels from, like, page 2, panel 4 to page 7, panel 3 to page 3, panel 1. Stuff like that. Very trippy.

Well, those are my picks.

How about you folk?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's probably sacriligious to say so, but I'd include the Art Adams drawn and spectacularly self-referential three issue story where Spidey, Ghost Rider, The Hulk, and Wolverine become the new FF. Along with, you know, all that other rightfully classic stuff.

5/12/2005 10:33:00 AM  
Blogger Bill D. said...

Here's what I'd pick:

Annual 3 - Reed & Sue get hitched

51 - My favorite Lee/Kirby story ever.

84-87 - Doom traps the FF in what is essentially The Village (though sadly, no #6)

258 - Probably the best Doom story ever.

267 - Sue loses the baby. Truly heartwrenching story.

296 - 25th anniversary story; also the only Mole Man story I've ever really liked.

334-336 - The FF vs. every loser villain in the Marvel Universe. Funny stuff.

510-511? - Don't remember the exact numbers, but the ones where they go to rescue Ben from the afterlife.

5/12/2005 03:46:00 PM  
Blogger Brian Cronin said...

Benjamin, I think Marvel may have done a "Best of" in the past, as there WAS a collection before that DID have the Art Adams storyline in it.

I dunno if I feel right about including in a "best of the FF" collection a story that starred other heroes, but that definitely WAS a fun story!

Very nice art, as well.

5/12/2005 06:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home