Monday, November 14, 2005

This Chat Was Good - Alex Robinson

I was at Rocketship on Friday (it was a lot of fun, by the way), and I totally missed that the Alex Robinson chat transcript went up at Comic Book Resources that day!

Reading the chat transcript over (which you can find here), it was a really good chat, if I do say so myself. Alex was willing to get real in depth over his work, and the chatters asked a lot of (I thought, but I am biased, as I was one of the people doing the asking) interesting questions.

For instance, Layne (who showed up at the chat by seeing it here. More of you should follow suit!) asked, "Was the protagonist switch from Sherman to Ed [in Box Office Poison] planned, or did you just find yourself writing Ed more and Sherman less over the course of the story?"

Alex replied, "I didn't really plan it or see it as a dramatic shift. Their stories were sort of meant to parallel each other. Some people were mad that Ed got to have the epilogue. So, I didn't plan it and I admit I was surprised how much I disliked Sherman at the end of the book."

Alex was also quite up front about his artistic style:
Larry V.: There are moments in "Tricked" where Steve looks like Theodore Roosevelt, is that just a coincident?
Alex Robinson: I have my limitations as an artist.
Alex Robinson: I basically have a bunch of head shapes and nose shapes and eye shapes and when I need a new character I just rotate them around.
Alex Robinson: Like a Mr. Potatohead.
Alex Robinson: For instance: in "Tricked," Richard, Phoebe's dad is basically an old version of Sherman.
Brian Cronin: Ha
Brandon Hanvey: Heh
Alex Robinson: Lily has Dorothy's head, Sally (Sherman's ex)'s nose.
Alex helped recommend some other books that people might enjoy if they like HIS work:
Alex Robinson: Terry Laban was a big influence on "Box Office Poison."
Alex Robinson: I think Fantagraphics might have some collections of his in print. One's called "Love's Not A Three Dollar Fare."
Alex Robinson: There's Tony Consiglio's excellent "Double Cross!" of course, which you can also pick up at the Top Shelf sale.
And this is really only the tip of the iceberg. It is a LONG, involved chat. I think any fans of Alex Robinson (or heck, anyone who likes to read discussions about comics) would dig reading it.

Finally, just after the cool signing at Rocketship, Alex Robinson is ALSO doing a signing at Barnes & Noble in New York City, at the corner of 6th Ave and 8th St. on Wednesday, November 16 at 7:30 PM! Here are directions!

So many cool comic things.

Ain't life grand?

Read More

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home