Monday, March 07, 2005

Helping You To Buy Good Things

Again, head's up to Erin Schadt for the idea.

We dig Darwyn Cooke here at Comics Should Be Good, as you might have noticed. Here are some Darwyn Cooke items up for grabs at Ebay.

1. Batman: Ego Graphic Novel written and drawn by Cooke, Buy It Now for under $4, ending in two days here.

2. In less than two days, a complete run of New Frontier by Cooke is ending, and it's only going for the opening price of $9.99 right now! Snap this one up if you haven't already gotten it, folks! If not, ending in six days is another one, same starting bid.

3. Cooke did the art for this Wolverine/Doop series, which is going for three bucks at the moment, ending in four days.

4. Here's an interesting one ending in a week, a full run of Catwoman, featuring Cooke on the early issues (and some later covers), going for a buck right now. Worth a shot, no?

Here is a fella selling the Dark Horse Little Lulu Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 together for $13.50. Could be worth a look see.

Here's two Buy It Now copies of Fantastic Four Roast by Fred Hembeck. A cheaper one here and a slightly more expensive one here.

In a bit over five days, this Shade The Changing Man trade is ending, and it opens at under five bucks. This is a chance to see Chris Bachalo back in his "really good" phase.

Finally, just for a laugh, here's a Lizzie Maguire Cine-Manga Buy It Now for less than a buck.

Enjoy!

7 Comments:

Blogger Brian Cronin said...

Yeah, Shade was Bachalo's "coming out party," as it were.

From Shade, he went on to do the Death Mini-Series, and then, he went to Marvel and the X-Books, where he exploded.

3/08/2005 06:57:00 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

I remember enjoying Chris Bachalo very much until Generation X. Loved his stuff on Death and Sandman and wherever I saw it, and then I enjoyed it on Generation X until he left the book. For awhile it was Tom Grummet and then Bachalo returned and his style had changed. It was very upsetting to me at the time. I've learned to enjoy it again, but at first it was unsettling.

Anyway, as per your "heads up," Brian, I ventured to eBay and snagged myself one of the runs of New Frontier they were offering. Thanks!

3/09/2005 02:52:00 AM  
Blogger Brian Cronin said...

Coolness, Jim.

Glad to see someone get something out of this routine.

As for Bachalo, when he returned to Generation X, it was without his longtime inker Mark Buckingham, wasn't it?

Now he could have just decided to change his style at that point....or Buckingham could have a lot to do with his greatness.

I could believe either.

3/09/2005 04:59:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brandon Hanvey sent me the whole run of Generation X a couple years ago, probably trying to divest himself of it, lest he lose indie cred. I'll have to look at it now, because I can't remember when Bachallo's style changed really drastically. I just remember that the one thing that really bugged me was that I had a hard time telling Emma Frost and Paige Guthrie apart. That's pretty bad.

3/09/2005 06:42:00 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Brian,

I think it's a combination of the two, if anything. You're right; when Bachalo returned he was being inked by several people, among them Al Vey, but I don't believe from looking at the artwork that it could be solely the influence of the inker.

That an interesting topic, the evolution of a creator style across the body of their work. In some cases, like Travis Charest, they become better and fall into their "popular" style. Then, in other cases, like Rob Liefeld, they hopefully depart from their shortcomings, although that remains the style for which they're recognized.

Most readers of comics won't enjoy an artist's work, and that artist won't create works that reach a broad audience, until their work is either good enough to be popular or popular enough to be considered "good" for a length of time. I'm sure there are exceptions to this on a grand and individual scale.

For myself, I liked Adam Kubert's artwork from several years ago as opposed to his more recent stuff.

Maybe I don't give enough credit to the affect of penciler/inker teams?

3/10/2005 12:06:00 AM  
Blogger Brian Cronin said...

Well, Jim, do you like Mark Buckingham's pencils?

3/10/2005 04:09:00 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

The first time I knew Buckingham was a penciller as well as an inker was on Death: The Time of Your Life when he took over for Bachalo. As a reader, I was peeved that they switched penciller's mid-story, as I usually am, and that they seemed to replace Bachalo with a cheap look-a-like. Since then, I've come to enjoy his work, probably because he's come into more of his own.

3/12/2005 01:44:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home