Friday, October 07, 2005

Get it while you can!

If you didn't get Absolute Watchmen, well, there are a couple of consequences:

1. You really should turn in your geek card and move out of your parents' basement. What kind of comic book nerd are you????? I own the softcover and I still bought it. Okay, it's a grip¹ of money, but you're a comic book nerd - sell your semen for money - it's not like it's doing anything else!

2. You may have missed the boat. I pre-ordered mine but didn't pick it up until today. The proprietor of my comics shoppe told me that he tried to order some more, and DC wouldn't let him. According to him, Alan Moore is making grumpy noises from his hidey-hole in Northampton about DC reprinting it, because of some backroom deal he made with them that gave him 50% of the proceeds but was never written down. Always get it in writing, people! Anyway, who knows if you will be able to find it soon! I'm scared to open mine - it might be worth MILLIONS some day!²

I just thought I would pass this information on to you, the reader. Because I care about your reading pleasure!

¹ That's street lingo, yo. I used to teach in the ghetto, and that's how all the kids talk. Keep it real!
² Calm down. I'm going to open it. I'm not one of those collectors.

Read More

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why should I get this book? What makes it better than the Watchmen TPB that I already have?

10/08/2005 12:36:00 AM  
Blogger Bill Reed said...

My shop, I believe, ordered a copy. I saw it on the table. But... 75 dollars is steep. For that price it should come with a case of vodka and Alyson Hannigan.

10/08/2005 12:49:00 AM  
Blogger Bill Reed said...

I believe I say "I believe" too much, especially when, um, it makes no sense to say it. You can ignore all uses of "I believe" from me from now on, I believe.

10/08/2005 12:50:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't enjoy reading the soft cover version, so I don't think $75 is a good investment of something I don't enjoy.

10/08/2005 02:00:00 AM  
Blogger Marionette said...

Alyson Hannigan. Yummmm.

10/08/2005 05:47:00 AM  
Blogger thekelvingreen said...

I wouldn't be surprised if DC are spreading the story about Moore. He hates them anyway, so they have nothing to lose, and it would cover for their own error...

And yeah, I can't see the point in plonking $75 down for this. I love Watchmen, but not enough to pay that much. I wouldn't say no if it were bought for me though. :)

10/08/2005 09:14:00 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

Aaron - it's been recolored, it's bigger, and it has a TON of stuff like part of the original script, promotional art, character designs, that sort of thing. It's very cool, but yeah, 75 dollars is a lot of money. And for people who don't like it ... Well, Anonymous, I weep for your soul, but that's okay - you can skip it.

Thanks for the information, Johanna - I usually don't take the tag off anyway, because I fear the damage you mention, so I'll definitely leave that on.

Bill - now THAT would be a promotion! I wonder if my wife would mind.

I don't think anyone who doesn't have a ton of cash lying around should go get this, unless they have never read Watchmen (sacrilege!) or their older copy is messed up. I bought because I NEVER buy editions like this, and I figured if I was ever going to, it might as well be the best comic book ever written.

10/08/2005 09:59:00 AM  
Blogger Nik said...

I didn't get it because I have the original Graffiti hardcover and am happy with that, far as I know except for the recoloring (and I like the original job) it's the same as this version. Maybe a little smaller, but that doesn't bother me.

10/08/2005 08:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home