Thursday, May 26, 2005

Comics Should Be Good Mark Millar Challenge

I will take back every negative thing I have ever said about Mark Millar's writing, and never make a snarky or negative statement about his writing ever again, if....

...Ultimates 2 ends without Hank Pym having a cynical ending.

And the book certainly sets us up where that is certainly a FEASIBLE option.

It is not like it would be coming out of left field.

It would kinda impress me just for Hank Pym to make it out of this series ALIVE.

But making it out of the series without a cynical resolution to his storyline?

That would AMAZE me.

It is soooooooooo easy to give Hank a cynical ending, so if Millar went AGAINST that, well, I would feel like a gigantic heel for presuming that Millar is being super cynical with this series.

And I would take back every negative thing I have said about Millar, and never make a snarky or negative statement about his writing ever again.

That's how much it would impress me.

That is my challenge.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What constitutes a "cynical" ending?

5/26/2005 10:25:00 AM  
Blogger Brian Cronin said...

-Unheroic death.

-Pym ending the series as the same joke he is at the end of #6.

-Some other form of derisive ending.

Basically, Ultimates is going down the path of cynicism, and I am hoping that it, unlike a lot of Millar's other works, diverges at some point in the next few issues.

And I think Hank Pym is the perfect example of the centerpiece of the cynicism of the book.

5/26/2005 05:37:00 PM  
Blogger MarkAndrew said...

Yeah, but Ultimate Giant Man's a dirty Wife beater!

I don't think it's cynical when dirty wife beaters get killed. I think it's funny. Especially if he gets eaten by an aardvark.

5/27/2005 02:11:00 AM  
Blogger Brian Cronin said...

Making the guy a wife-beater was cynical enough, no?

He is on a redemption kick, and the TYPICAL Millar story would show that this character was beyond redemption, or something like that.

It would impress/amaze me if he actually had a character GAIN redemption.

5/27/2005 02:22:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home