Wednesday, April 05, 2006

So, have you seen this Minoriteam show?

If you haven't, and don't want to follow this link, it's one of Adult Swim's newest shows, about a superhero team comprised of really offensive ethnic stereotypes. It's of special interest to comic fans, specifically Silver Age Marvel Comics fans, because Jack Kirby is thanked in the credits at the end of every episode. At least the two I've seen. Which is as it should be, because they totally rip of his style for the visual make-up of the show, from the character design to Kirby dots in the background.

Now, I don't have a problem with that. God knows thousands of comic artists have stolen from Kirby, to varying degrees. At least they acknowledge it openly in the credits, for anyone who wouldn't know. But the one thing that strikes me as odd is that Stan Lee doesn't also get a thank you. I'm not sure why that is. I can speculate. But I don't want to. All I can say is that the latest episode parodied Stan's dialogue for Thor pretty much spot on, which made sense, given that it was set in Valhalla and guest starred the dopest MC in Asgard. So it's weird that they didn't acknowledge that debt to Stan the Man there. All I'm saying.

3 Comments:

Blogger Zach said...

If you missed the pilot (which ran before Christmas), then you missed the explanation of the offensive stereotyping. Basically, all the team members are something entirely different (El Jefe is CEO of an energy company, Fasto is a Women's Studies professor) when "powered down," and they use "the power of what (they) are not" to fight racism--which works about as well as you'd expect. I thought the pilot did a great job of setting up the joke, which has kind of failed in later episodes.

As for the Kirby vs. Lee credit, that does seem pretty odd. I think the whole gimmick is that the animation is based on the '60s Marvel toons (too bad they couldn't come up with a catchy themesong like the Hulk's)

4/05/2006 11:20:00 PM  
Blogger Brad Curran said...

I watched the pilot, I think, but I barely remember it at all now. How many episodes have there been between the pilot and this one? Also, yeah, your '60s Marvel Toons theory is better than the speculation I didn't engage in.

4/06/2006 12:00:00 AM  
Blogger Chris Griswold said...

Maybe he has been credited enough times for other people's work that they were trying to even the score a little.

4/06/2006 05:31:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home