Monday, January 09, 2006

12 Things I Learned as a Comic Reader and Blogger in 2005

1. Comics professionals might be reading your blog, so don't be surprised if they respond to your calling them annoying in the comments section.
2. Just because a comic is $1 for 80 pages doesn't mean it's a value for the money.
3. In the same vein, just because you'd read a mediocre comic on E-Bay or in a cheep box for a dollar, it doesn't mean that you have to.
4. Sometimes comics you can enjoy can take so steep a nosedive that they're not worth following anymore, and it's really not worth waiting around for them to get better. Especially when the X-Men are fighting the fucking Danger Room for six issues.
5. Sometimes your favorite creators can disappoint you and it has nothing to do with the X-Men fighting the fucking Danger Room.
6. Sometimes classic comics are only classic because they're old...
7. ... but sometimes they're better than anything you're currently reading can even begin to concieve of being. Even if they feature horrible racial stereotypes as supporting characters.
8. Frank Miller can write a Batman comic that's more intensely disliked than the Dark Knight Strikes Again.
9. Dave Campbell is fucking hilarious.
10. Fandom Rampages can get so bad that a blog devoted to mocking them has to call it a day.
11. You can actually get tired of reading comics for the sake of reading them.
12. But sometimes all it takes is one great comic to make you remember why you love this bastard form to begin with.

Read More

10 Comments:

Blogger Bill Reed said...

Re 1. Also, watch out even for forums like Newsarama. I had an encounter with Geoff Johns a few months ago. Or at least someone whose username was Geoff Johns. It was probably him. I did, however, escape the wrath of Kirkman, probably by accident.

Re 7. You're right. Showcase GL *is* a good book. (Unless you're reading, say, Blackhawk Archives or something. Or something else entirely.)

Re 9, 12. True 'dat.

1/09/2006 04:37:00 PM  
Blogger kelvingreen said...

I had an encounter with Geoff Johns a few months ago. Or at least someone whose username was Geoff Johns. It was probably him.
Well, did "Geoff Johns" bore you to tears with his responses? If so, it was probably the genuine article.

1/09/2006 06:24:00 PM  
Blogger gschienke said...

In fairness, if it was Geoff Johns he would have bent over backwards to be nice while writing a response that meets marketing minimum needs for a trade paperback.

1/09/2006 07:04:00 PM  
Blogger Bill Reed said...

In fairness, if it was Geoff Johns he would have bent over backwards to be nice while writing a response that meets marketing minimum needs for a trade paperback.

Spooky.

And I bet he never passed on the whole "Hey, I'll write Aquaman for free, you git" thing to DiDio.

Heh.

Bah.

1/09/2006 07:27:00 PM  
Blogger T. said...

I posted a message over at Newsarama asking about Teen Titans. Geoff Johns promptly sent me a private message asking for my name and address to send me a free copy of the book. That caught me off guard. I'm not a Johns fan, but I'll read anything for free, even a Jeph Loeb book, so I gave him the info.

The book never came. I felt used somehow.

1/09/2006 08:52:00 PM  
Blogger MarkAndrew said...

So Johns basically spends his free time just figuring out new 'n clever ways to fuck with his audience?

That's beautiful! He just shot up, like, 74 spots on my favorite writers list. That's EXACTLY what I would do if I was a comic writer. (Minus the flaming bags of dog poo left on my fan's doorsteps.)

*Looks up*

On the same note, I kinda liked Wanted.

1/10/2006 01:44:00 AM  
Blogger kelvingreen said...

Hang on T, did you say something nic or mean about [b]TT[/b]? Because I've been trashing Johns for years now, aand I've never got anything in the post.

1/10/2006 09:24:00 PM  
Blogger kelvingreen said...

Oh dear.

That's supposed to be "nice" not "nic", and those are supposed tot be triangular brackets.

Stupid Bendis. Nothing to do with him, but I have to blame someone.

1/10/2006 09:25:00 PM  
Blogger Bill Reed said...

Well, I was trashing the entire Crisis mentality, and it got me a free copy of Infinite Crisis #1.

Or it was supposed to. It's not like it ever showed up. Which is fine, as it was probably laced with some deadly poison or something. Hee hee.

1/10/2006 11:24:00 PM  
Blogger T. said...

So wait, Johns promised you a free comic too? Does he just compulsivel offer free books? Weird.

kelvin, I wasn't trashing Teen Titans, I was just asking questions about a particular issue in a thread because I was on the fence about trying the book. Then he sent me a private message telling me to send my address if and he'd send me a copy. Never came.

1/11/2006 08:37:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home