Tuesday, October 11, 2005

U-Tell-Me! (What Comics To Read)

Since I haven't read a lot of recent stuff, as I mentioned in the slog below, I'd like for you, dear audience, to recommend some recent comics to me. Anything published since January is fair game.
Original graphic novels are welcome, if nothing else so I can come up with a vote for the Corries, but trades and singles are fair game. I'll even take webcomic recommendations. Reprints are fine, as long as it isn't from the Golden-Silver-Bronze Age. The Tungsten Age, that's fair game. Also, no superheroes. I think acting like Warren Ellis can get me laid. Shiteyes! Also, I read a lot of superhero comics already. I'd like something different. I am partial to action-adventure comics, with or without spandex, but I'll give anything a try. Even something not in a genre. So, give me your reccomendations for new, non-superhero comics in any format!

Addendum: I read the first issue of Fell, and plan on getting the next one, if I can find it, since I'm all for more self contained single issue comics, and I really dug Templesmith's art. So, all of the above, and no Fell. And Scott Pilgrim. I already know it's awesome. You don't have to evangelize about it to me. Everything else from my narrowed purview above; free game! Have at it! Tell me how to improve my taste by reading comics you like! It's the only way I'll learn.

Read More

9 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Different Ugliness, Different Madness is the best graphic novel this year. It was a DC/Humanoids thing. Brilliant.

The GrimJack mini-series was excellent, too.

10/12/2005 12:10:00 AM  
Anonymous Iron Lungfish said...

Read anything by Lewis Trondheim? "Mister O" is simple but very enjoyable in a minimalist kinda way. "Astronauts of the Future" is also very good.

10/12/2005 12:21:00 AM  
Blogger Bill Reed said...

Get Fell.

Oh, oh, and Scott Pilgrim.

Yeah, definitely those two. Definitely.

10/12/2005 12:27:00 AM  
Blogger Marionette said...

Polly and the Pirates - mini series.

Courtney Crumrin Tales 1. Self contained story that does not require the reading of Courtney Crumrin, but if you don't read it anyway you're missing out.

10/12/2005 03:31:00 AM  
Anonymous Iron Lungfish said...

Looking back, I see neither of the books I mentioned have been published this year. Gah. Still good, though.

10/12/2005 03:36:00 AM  
Blogger Tadhg said...

Batman

10/12/2005 09:23:00 AM  
Blogger joncormier said...

Northwest Passage if you haven't picked up the first volume. It's worth a look. It's fun. It's ole-timey adventure and it's set in a somewhat unique location. Volume 2 hits the shelves in November, I think?

10/12/2005 10:29:00 AM  
Blogger Nick Wyche said...

Scott Pilgrim
Sharknife
Peng
The Nimrod (you'll have to find these in back issues as it's not printed anymore)-Fantagraphics catch-all title for the work of Lewis Trondheim
Salamander Dream
Project Telstar
Project Superior
How To Be An Artist by Eddie Campbell
Or Else by Kevin Huizenga

10/12/2005 11:25:00 AM  
Anonymous Prodigal said...

If you haven't given PS238 a look, by all means do so. The first trade (With Liberty And Recess For All) collects issues 0-5, and the second (To the Lunchroom . . . For Justice!) collects issues 6-10.

PS238 is a facility existing three miles beneath Excelsior primary school, where children with super powers go to learn how to control the abilities they were born with, while also learning reading, writing, and 'rithmatic. It's a hell of a lot of fun to read, and if you're hesitant to pick it up without taking a look at it first, they have issues 0-1 posted as pdfs, so your first taste can be free:

http://archive.gamespy.com/comics/nodwick/ps238

10/17/2005 05:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home