Monday, September 19, 2005

What was good about the 90s

Firstly, I think someone should beat Brian with a shoulder pad for this.

Secondly, these were the high points of the 90s for me:

The Invisibles
Love and Rockets
From Hell
Sin City (up until Family Values- then I kinda dropped out)
Terminal City
Age of Apocalypse


Anonymous Nathan said...

I think you might be missing a few obvious choices. Grant Morrison's JLA? Amalgam? The introduction of Alex Ross (no matter what you may think of Marvels or Kingdom Come)? The introduction of the partnership of Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale?

Hmmm. Perhaps my taste is simply terrible.

9/19/2005 08:46:00 AM  
Anonymous Daniel Apodaca said...

Yikes. Amalgam.

This is like suddenly remembering being molested as a kid.

9/19/2005 09:50:00 AM  
Blogger T. said...

Sin City totally lost me with Yellow Rat Bastard. It was just an absurd story that got a pass just because it was Miller.

Peter David's X-Factor was a nice spot in the early 90s.

9/19/2005 10:44:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The Return of Barry Allen" story arc from Flash.

The Batman:Black and White mini series from 1996. (My favourite story was the Howard Chaykin's "Petty Crimes", but there are several good stories within the collection and a good variety of talent.)

Sandman Mystery Theatre was kind of hit-or-miss with me, but it was a good title on the stands that was worth picking up every once in a while.

I really liked Sin City: The Big Fat Kill. The dialogue was corny in some parts, i.e. the "valkyrie" bits and the "you're mine, always and never" things, but the story pace was frantic and funny, and the art was great.

Neil Gaiman on Sandman was good. I liked the "Prez" issue a lot.

Allred's Madman was goofy and great, as well as Red Rocket 7. Was that late ninties, too? Like '98, 99?

I will also endorse the Ray, both miniseries and ongoing as decent and likable, though not spectacular.

There are lots of others I'm sure I'm missing. There was good stuff in the nineties, just not in the usual places.

9/19/2005 10:54:00 AM  
Blogger Harvey Jerkwater said...

Lemme think. Good comics from the nineties...

Firearm by James Robinson and (I think) Cully Hamner

Garth Ennis's run on Hellblazer.

Sandman, of course.

Milk and Cheese by Evan Dorkin.

The Mark Waid/Ron Garney run on Captain America was a favorite of mine.

The tail end of the Bwah-ha-ha era Justice good.

9/19/2005 04:06:00 PM  
Blogger Tom Foss said...

*Morrison's JLA
*Mike Parobeck (and his JSA art)
*Superman's Kirbyverse supporting cast
*Batman: TAS and the related series and comic adaptations
*Pre-Carnage Venom
*James Robinson's Starman
*Amalgam and the since-lost spirit of friendly competition between Marvel and DC
*Tim Drake as Robin
*DC One Million
*Kingdom Come
*Peter David's Supergirl
*Young Justice

There's more, I'm sure.

9/19/2005 04:37:00 PM  
Blogger T. said...

Is anyone going to cover Milestone? Not only did it have some good series (static and Blood Syndicate) but it also broke in a lot of talent, like Humberto Ramos, JP Leon and Chris Cross.

9/19/2005 04:48:00 PM  
Blogger Ed Cunard said...

Oh, man, do I miss Milestone. I loved those comics growing up.

9/19/2005 07:25:00 PM  
Blogger Bill Reed said...

Ooo, wait, they turned Superman into that energy being in the 90's too, didn't they? *makes note*

9/19/2005 07:38:00 PM  
Blogger Brian Cronin said...

Don't worry, I got Milestone covered...hehe.

9/20/2005 12:00:00 AM  
Blogger Graeme said...

I'd definitely include:

Grant Morrison's JLA
Alan Moore's Supreme (which I'm frankly surprized no one else has mentioned)
Understanding Comics (another surprising one which hasn't been mentioned)
Sandman Mystery Theatre
The Ray (mini)
Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol
Batman: The Long Halloween
Astro City (original series)
Plus From Hell and The Invisibles, already mentioned...

9/20/2005 01:32:00 AM  
Blogger Matthew said...

I did a ten part retrospective on milestone comics on my radio show earlier this year.
I wrote up the last two parts and put them on my blog.
scroll down

9/20/2005 01:59:00 AM  
Anonymous stefano said...

here goes, trying to avoiding stuff already mentioned:
* Cereal Killings
* Foolkiller
* Morrison's run on Animal Man - the end of which is technically still in the '90s, Kill Your Boyfriend, and the Skrull Kill Crew
* Stray Bullets
* some of the first Vertigo minis: the first Death miniseries, Enigma, Scarab...
* Milestone: did anybody mention Death Wish? Xombi?
* Garth Ennis' Hitman and his run of Demon
* Paul Jenkins' Inhumans
* Alan Moore's run of WildCats
* the Lords of Misrule (which, for some reason, managed to scare me like no other comic ever did before or after)
* Oink
* Oktane
* Milligan's Shade!

God... What's wrong with me?

9/21/2005 09:16:00 AM  
Blogger Gateway Comics said...

Morrison's JLA, Waid's Flash (until he burned out), Busiek's Thunderbolts, and the first year of Priest's Black Panther were some of my favorite comics of the 90's.

9/21/2005 01:15:00 PM  
Blogger Graeme said...

Good grief, I completely forgot one other of my faves from the '90s: Power of Shazam! Probably the most underrated superhero book of the decade, and probably the best (and possibly only) modern incarnation of the Marvel Family worth reading.

9/21/2005 05:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home