Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Selective Memory Should Be Good (Or, How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love the DC Solicitations)

I have more to add to this topic at a later date, but looking at the new DC solicitations have me a perfect example of it in action. Bob Harras will be writing JLA? Instead of Darwyn Cooke on Flash, we're getting Joey Cavalieri? "Are we really so steeped in 90s nostalgia that any passing editer is getting a shot at writing superhero comics these days," I thought. It annoyed me. Man, I hate comics! But I forgot all about it when I read this:

"Join Mike Allred, the creator of Madman and The Atomics, as he takes a whirlwind tour of the DCU! First stop: Hourman, as we find out exactly how much super-heroing a hero can do. The craziness continues as two super-teams are pitted against each other in 'Doom Patrol vs. Teen Titans.' In 'Batman A-Go-Go!', the Caped Crusader is taken on a kooky psychedelic journey. Allred visits Jack Kirby's Fourth World as Lightray and Orion put Mister Miracle to the test in 'Fourth World Wager.' Can Scott Free really get out of any trap? And it's all capped off with "Comic Book Clubhouse," featuring just about every DC hero!"

It's hard to get mad about anything with that kind of news. Not only a whole issue of Allred art, but one where he draws the Doom Patrol and Kirby characters? All is right with the world, and any annoyance about creative teams on comics I probably won't read anyway melts away under the warm glow of a favorite creator getting a chance to shine. Man, I love comics!

Read More

3 Comments:

Blogger Pól Rua said...

It's like I said earlier. If you want to find stuff that'll piss you off and irritate you, it's easy.
90% of everything is bullshit.
The key is in not getting hung up on the stuff that pisses you off and finding the stuff that you enjoy.

And damn, that Allred Solo looks totally freakin' awesome!

7/21/2005 02:35:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait, Darwyn Cooke isn't doing the Flash any more?

But yeah, I'm in love with that Allred Solo cover.

7/21/2005 12:36:00 PM  
Anonymous Jesse Hochstadt said...

It's a minor point, but it's incorrect to refer to Joey Cavalieri as "any passing editor ... getting a shot" at writing. Cavalieri's no novice author. He did a fair bit of writing before he became an editor; Googling his name will turn up a number of credits. However, to my recollection he was a pretty poor - at best mediocre - writer. So even though I dropped Flash because of how tired and annoyed I'd become of Johns, I'm not likely to pick it up with Cavalieri writing.

7/24/2005 12:45:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home