Friday, May 20, 2005

Dr. Vaughanlove- or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the BKV

There are certain sacred cows in the world of comic fandom. And if you tread on these sacred cows you can expect some shit to be flung your way. If you don’t believe me just try saying We3 isn’t the best comic book ever published. But wear something that covers your entire body and is easy to clean.

One of the current sacred cows is Y The Last Man. Every person who read Y The Last Man loves it. Loves it. Not likes it. LOVES it. I have been told countless times that I need to be reading Y as it is the BEST COMIC OUT THERE, MAN!

So I went to my local library (which also happens to be my place of employment) and I put holds on the first three trades.

And I really, really, really disliked them. Didn’t like the set-up, didn’t like the characters, didn’t like the way the story was shaping up. Didn’t like the art.

I’ll wait while you all collect your jaws and try and regain your composure.

Okay, so my bad Y experience kinda turned me off Brian K. Vaughan. I mean, everyone in the world was telling me that Y is his best work and that he’s one of the best out there and I should be reading him. But I really didn’t like Y. Ergo, I do not like Vaughan.

But……..

I was ordered- not asked, but ORDERED- to read Ex Machina. And I really didn’t have any strong desire, but I was pretty burnt out on what I was reading and the trade collecting the first arc had just come out…..so…..I gave it a try.

Loved it.

I don’t know what the difference is, but Ex Machina has an oomph for me that Y lacks completely. In one trade I fell in love with the story. I’m hooked and in it for the long haul.

And then the same person who ORDERED me to read Ex Machina ordered me to read Runaways. So I bought the first trade and gave it a try. And I liked it. I wasn’t crazy about it, but I liked it a lot.

Then I bought the second and third trades. And the first three issues of the second series. And man, it hooked me. The first trade was good, the other two were excellent. Damn, I was so glad I could read it all in one sitting. All I could think after finishing it was “Man, why isn’t “New X-Men: Academy X” this cool? Why aren’t those kids as interesting and fun as these kids?”

And then, on a lark, I picked up Vaughan’s latest story arc in Ultimate X-Men.

Damn. It’s some good stuff.

It turns out I really dig Brian K. Vaughan’s writing. Except when he’s writing Y the Last Man. Go figure.

The point of this post is threefold.

1) Y The Last Man sucks.

2) Runaways, Ex Machina and Vaughan’s Ultimate X-men are great!

3) Vaughan’s a damn fine writer that I look forward to reading in the future.

Okay, you can go back to your lives now……

10 Comments:

Blogger Bill Reed said...

I've read a bit of 'Y', and I guess it's okay, but I'm not really interested. Same with Ex Machina... I'm just not feeling it.

Ultimate X-Men, on the other hand, I actively dislike. Runaways seems to be his best stuff, but still not interesting enough for me to purchase it regularly.

So yeah, I don't feel the Vaughnlove.

5/20/2005 11:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Stefan said...

What is with this site and "sucks"?

5/22/2005 11:52:00 AM  
Anonymous Mike Loughlin said...

When I first read a Vaughan comic, it was the Tefe Holland "Swamp Thing."

Man, was I not impressed.

As a consequence, I missed Runaways and Y when they were first released. Since then, I've picked up the trades for both, and I enjoyed them. Ex Machina and Ultimate X-Men are two of the few monthlies I still buy.

Re Vaughan (or Y) as sacred cow: Nearly every critically acclaimed book or creator goes through the same arc: Beginner, Attention, More Attention, Favorite, Backlash. The heat (both positive and negative) usually dies down, and said creator and/or book goes back to some point in the cycle.

5/23/2005 07:55:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've pretty much loved most of BKV's work. Runaways, Y, Ex Machina, and even Swamp Thing was a blast to me. Ultimate X-men has been hit or miss. But I trust in the BKV.

- Jed

5/23/2005 09:17:00 AM  
Blogger Joe Rice said...

Oh, Chad. You're such an iconoclast. We'll never keep up with you and your edgy opinions.

5/23/2005 09:30:00 AM  
Blogger Chad said...

Ya know, Joe, you pretty much bite at storming out of a place and never coming back.

Don't you have some spare issues of We3 to jerk off over or something?

5/23/2005 09:33:00 AM  
Blogger Joe Rice said...

Chad, I built this place. Your inept little bad boy act wouldn't even exist here if not for me. If I want to discuss comics here, I will. Occasionally there's something interesting, despite your continued presence.

5/23/2005 09:48:00 AM  
Blogger Chad said...

Whatever, Joe. You built this place. That's nice. And then you left in a whiny little huff. That's nice. And now I can look forward to your lovely little snipes. Joy.

Guess I better go polish my "bad boy act" and my "iconoclast" style. Or else poor widdle Joey won't have anyone to condescend to.

5/23/2005 11:42:00 AM  
Blogger Joe Rice said...

Thoughtful criticism would have prevented this, Chad. Your posts worry too much about style and not enough about content. If you weren't trying so hard to be kewl, you'd probably have some excellent observations. But this "Yeah, that's right, I curse" butch act does nothing but make you look silly, especially when your responses are so bitchy.

5/23/2005 11:45:00 AM  
Blogger cheng said...

Do want to know the magic of online games, and here you can get more mabinogi gold. Do you want to have a try? Come on and cheap mabinogi can make you happy.You can change a lot mabinogi money for play games. And you can practice your game skill. Playing online games can buy mabinogi gold. I often come here and buy it. And you can use the mabinogi online gold do what you want to do in the online game.

3/25/2009 08:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home