Monday, May 09, 2005

Comics Socialization- How I Brought in a New Comics Reader and Other Free Comic Day Anecdotes

So, Free Comic Book Day (or, as I like to call it, Nerd Christmas) was Saturday. I took full advantage of it, hitting three shops in my area. I was able to help one of cut down on their back issue stock a bit by taking everything that looked the slightest bit interesting. Which means I have a lot of random single issues. Now I can read half of Greg Pak's Warlock, as well as 100% #5 without the superflous first four parts!

But existing comics fans adding random comics that shops don't want anymore to their collection isn't the point of the exercise. It's about bringing in new readers. So every year, I've invited my best friend along with me to the shops. He's picked up his share of free comics, including every Star Wars issue Dark Horse has offered and anything I reccomended (which this year meant Seven Soldiers #0). But he's never bought anything. Until this year.

He got himself a copy of That Yellow Bastard. Let me tell you, I was very proud. I'd worked for so long, and he was finally socialized in to actually paying for comics. I can even take credit (or at least share it with Miller and Robert Rodriguez) for his affinity for that particular story. He said the reason he liked that part of the Sin City movie so much was that Hartigan's narration reminded him of Batman's in the Dark Knight Returns, which he'd borrowed for me after years of hearing me and other folks not shut up about it.

So, I've done my part to bring in a new paying customer to comics. That's one down, and several million to go. Do I get my free toaster now?

Now, more shit about comics I picked up
As for the issues the companies actually offered this year as opposed to the back issues the shops desperately wanted to get rid of, the pick of the litter has to be Comics Festival, a 40 page anthology of work from Canadian creators attendting the Toronto Comics Art Festival. Any comic with two Street Angel stories, as well as two stories and a cover drawn by Darwyn Cooke has my attention right away. Add work by Brian Lee O'Malley, Cameron Stewart, Seth, Dave Sim and Chester Brown, Kagan McLeod (who contributes my favorite story of the bunch, When I Wanted to Fight Bruce Lee, the funniest two page comic I've read since Mike Mignola's Pancakes), and many others besides, and well, you've got my money. So it's even better that it's free. This comic was so good that it made me wish I lived in Canada, so I could attend the TCAF (as I'm sure those lucky Cannucks abbreviate it as). So, if you didn't pick this up, well... I feel bad for you. But at least you won't have the desire to go to Canada. Unless you really want universal healthcare or something.

I also liked the Bongo Comics giveaway. Four stories for nothing, especially a Futurama one, is good enough for me. It kind of freaks me out that Chuck Dixon contributed a Dr. Strange parody, though. That's not something you'd associate with him. The Flight sampler had two good stories, so I still plan on buying both volumes of it at some point. I even liked the Marvel Adventures issue, as it was a nice, breezy, self contained superhero story. That, and the fact that it had a section about how comics are made in the back, made it seem like a great comic for young kids. Hopefully it made it in to their hands. From my stack, I've also read the Devil's Due flipbook, but since I have nothing to say about Cobra Island being nuked and Udon trying to make a story out of Darkstalkers, I think I'll take my leave now.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mercurie said...

I've always thought Free Comics Day was a good idea, although I have to wonder how many new readers it does create. I can remember in grade school most boys read comic books. Now as an adult I can't name one child who does. Sad, but it seems readership is not what it used to be.

5/09/2005 01:12:00 PM  
Blogger Bill Reed said...

I'm glad that most people seem to be enjoying Free Comic Book Day... it's thoroughly pointless for me, as there aren't really any stores around that even attempt it half-assedly, unfortunately.

5/09/2005 07:24:00 PM  
Blogger MarkAndrew said...

"Now, more shit about comics I picked up
As for the issues the companies actually offered this year as opposed to the back issues the shops desperately wanted to get rid of, the pick of the litter has to be Comics Festival, a 40 page anthology of work from Canadian creators attendting the Toronto Comics Art Festival."

Awesome. I am so getting this.

"Kagan McLeod (who contributes my favorite story of the bunch, When I Wanted to Fight Bruce Lee, the funniest two page comic I've read since Mike Mignola's Pancakes)"

In case anyone here doesn't know...

Kagan writes "Infinite Kung-Fu" which is, according to my exhaustively detailed and researched calculations seventy garbonzo-zillion times better than all the other Action/Adventure ('cluding Superhero) comics published right now.

5/11/2005 02:36:00 AM  
Blogger Brad Curran said...

"Kagan writes "Infinite Kung-Fu" which is, according to my exhaustively detailed and researched calculations seventy garbonzo-zillion times better than all the other Action/Adventure ('cluding Superhero) comics published right now."

My calculations say that if it's half as good as his two pager, there's a 1,000% chance you are right. There's a collection coming, according to the bio page in Comics Festival, so I'll soon be able to find out for myself.

5/12/2005 11:50:00 PM  
Blogger cheng said...

Do want to know the magic of online games, and here you can get more LOTRO Gold. Do you want to have a try? Come on and Lord Of The Rings Gold can make you happy.You can change a lot buy LOTRO Gold for play games. And you can use the cheap Lord Of The Rings Gold do what you want to do in the online game.

3/25/2009 09:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home