Thursday, April 14, 2005

This is Where the Title Goes....

I get my comics shipped to me once a month. As a result, I am almost always behind you lot in the reading of said comics. But this week I've received my comics for the month of March and I shall type about them.

Legion of Super-Heroes #4-
I have a history with the Legion. And the history goes like this: Every time I beging to really, really dig the Legion they reboot it. And I end up not buying the reboot. And later on I go back to the Legion and I have to buy back issues. So with this go-round I decided to ditch the history and pull an Austen. ("Pulling an Austen" is the phrase I use for people who continue to buy a book when they don't like the writing or art. It is based on the rather well-documented phenomenon of people who continued to purchase Uncanny X-men while simultaneously yelling about how horrible Chuck Austen is.)

Waid's Legion isn't awful. But it isn't overly good either. Two things are going on in Waid's Legion.

The first is a war that's brewing. A big war. Wherein lots of people are going to get killed. Waid drops new little clues about the war with every issue. I'd imagine it will be the second half of the first year. I would also imagine that the mysterious figure Dream Girl sees in a vision is Mon-El. I would also imagine that the legion will make this war much less awful than it is being built up to be.

The second thing that is going on in Waid's Legion is the All Adults Are Evil theme. Adults are bad and teenagers (or underagers as they are so sweetly called in the book) are good. Only teenagers can think for themselves. Adults are all tyrants who want to control teenagers. This issues actually breaks away form that a bit to show that there are two good adults. They also happen to be hopelessly stupid and innefectual- but they're good.

Waid's other thing is taking each character and putting a spin on their pwoers. Colossal Boy is actuall a giant who shrinks to human size and can't udnerstand why no one will call him Micro-Lad. Triplicate Girl is from a race of women who duplicated themselves form one woman. Phantom Girl exists in two different universe at once. They're all cute ideas. I wish he'ds top bashing us over the head with the Colossal Boy joke. And the Phantom Girl spin doesn't work. But they're okay.

This issue, like the ones before it, was okay. I'm Pulling an Austen, tho, and I know it.

100 Bullets #59-
I buy 100 Bullets every month. I only read it every few months. it jsut works better with more than one issue to read. I glanced through this issue. More of the players are appearing. I hope that the story starts to pick up soon. The last couple of arcs have felt like Azzarello is treading water a bit. I'm tired of hints about what Graves is up to. I'd like to see it actually start taking shape.

Fables #35-
Another comic I only read every few months. I enjoy Fables a lot. I'm sticking with it until the very end. There is an end coming tho, right?

Ocean #5-
I'm really, really enjoying Ocean. I love it when Warren Ellis writes science-fiction type stuff. I will wait to comment more when I get the last issue. But I'm really, really liking it. Even though Ellis can't seem to stop himself from having a character say at some point that they need to be brought something to have sex with.

Ultimate Fantastic Four #17 and Ultimate Secret #1-
I am not, however, as fond of Ellis' super-hero stuff for the Ultimate line. Both of these issues had nice moments, but not much happens. Decompressed storytelling has become the Marvel Style and I don't know that I'm happy about that. But at least Reed hasn't said that someone should bring him something to have sex with.

Uncanny X-men #457-
I very much like that Alan Davis has been drawing in a Neal Adams X-men kinda style. It gives this story a nice visual historical nod. Claremont is telling yet another of his possesion stories. This time it's Marvel Girl who has been possesed by dinosaurs. I grow less and less enchanted with the X-Books the faster House of M approaches. I think Marvel's editorial decision to go as far as possible away from Grant Morrison's approach has hurt the books very muchly.

X-men #168-
I'm kinda enjoying Peter Milligan's first X-Story. he's telling a very Stephen King kinda horror story. And I'm liking it. I'm looking forward to seeing the X-men "Sweat it out" next issue. Rock on, Milligan.

X-Men: The End Vol 2#1
I'm REALLY enjoying The End. I love that Claremont is being allowed to toss everything into the mix and I love that stories are actually ending. The art is so-so, but the story is a lot of fun for this X-Nerd.

Seven Soldiers:Guardian #1-
Love the story. Love the pirates. Love the Kaballah map of the hidden subway. LOVE LOVE LOVE that the lead character's backstory takes place over two panels instead of six issues. The art is kinda blah, but the story is good.

Seven Soldiers: Shining Knight#1-
Wow I love the art on this book. And I mean really LOVE the art on this book. Truly beautiful, wonderful work. The story is okay. I don't know how I feel about the whole "Man Out of Time" thing. But I'm definitely sticking around.

Love and Rockets #13-
Oh, how I love this book. Oh how I love it. Love and Rockets is my number one all-time favorite comic at this point. I love the characters. I love the stories. I love the art. I love the writing. I love the humor. I love the digeessions. I am overwhelmed with love every time I read this book. I do not understand why more people don't read it and why the people I convince to read it don't like it. It is the one comic I refuse to understand a differing opinion on.


Blogger Brian Cronin said...

How about, "Books I Bought This Month"?

4/14/2005 07:13:00 PM  
Blogger Brad Curran said...

I'm liking Waid's Legion so far. It's got a lot of things that I like in my monthly comics. It might help that I'd read a grand total of two Legion comics before his run started (and that I find the Colossal Boy gags funny). He's laying the "Adults vs. teenagers" theme on a bit thick, and there's one scene in the last issue in particular where he was pushing his luck with me, but I'm still enjoying it enough to pick it up monthly.

4/14/2005 10:55:00 PM  
Blogger Brad Curran said...

That said, being nearly done with the Locas hardcover, I'm right there with you on Love and Rockets. At least the Jaime parts. I'll be able to join you on the 'beto material as soon as I get Palomar, I imagine.

4/14/2005 10:56:00 PM  
Blogger Republic of Replicants said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4/15/2005 12:58:00 AM  
Blogger Republic of Replicants said...

Loving the Seven Soldiers stuff.

Still buying Legion, though I'm not sure why...

The writing's good, the art's great... but it's just not grabbing me.

I have to agree that his re-working of powers is starting to become a bit cliched now.
I'm expecting AtomGirl/Shrinking Violet to be a tiny girl who grows to normal size or Shadow Lass to abosorb light instead of cast shadow...

4/15/2005 12:59:00 AM  
Anonymous Viking Bastard said...

Gotta agree with the Rebeat Legion. It's just not grabbing me. It's so... *hint*hint*nudge*nudge*

"See how clever I am and how kewl I can make this! It's all updated! We're exciting! And cool! And badarse!"

But unlike, say, Mark Millar who does this without mercy, Mark Waid just isn't very cool. Good writer for sure, but definately not very cool.

4/15/2005 06:07:00 AM  
Anonymous Viking Bastard said...

Gotta agree with the Rebeat Legion. It's just not grabbing me. It's so... *hint*hint*nudge*nudge*

"See how clever I am and how kewl I can make this! It's all updated! We're exciting! And cool! And badarse!"

But unlike, say, Mark Millar who does this without mercy, Mark Waid just isn't very cool. Good writer for sure, but definately not very cool.

4/15/2005 06:07:00 AM  
Blogger Tom said...

Do you read Stray Bullets? I have the same feelings towards it that you have for L + R.

4/15/2005 09:47:00 AM  
Anonymous Brad Curran said...

As far as title suggestions, how about "That Time of the Month"? It has a double meaning and appeals to the lowest common denominator at the same time!

4/15/2005 03:05:00 PM  
Blogger shoppingugg said...

one day i went shopping outside,and in an ed hardy store,I found some kinds of ed hardy i love most they are Your website is really good Thank you for the information Abercrombie Fitch sale Abercrombie Fitch sale buy Abercrombie Fitch clothing buy Abercrombie Fitch clothing Abercrombie Fitch shop Abercrombie Fitch shop Abercrombie Fitch store Abercrombie Fitch store Cheap Abercrombie

1/31/2010 12:49:00 AM  
Blogger yu said...

Also, even still mbt shoes they’re very complete, because cheap Mbt Shoes they’re black, you can preclude that not many other casual Mbt Shoes sale road shoes can get scuffed up simply. Goatskin leathered, which is really robust, reinforces Mbt Shoes discount the toes of these shoes, so compared to help loosen emphasis to discount Mbt Shoes the front, sides and back of these all four seasons cheap Mbt Shoes sale of high-shine leather at the outer of the base, thus making discount Mbt Shoes sale walking and reasonable ledge life, these are an incredible bargain at cheap Mbt Shoes sale only $110, so you might want to think about discount Mbt Shoes sale selling them a futuristic feel. In a few different mbt men shoes shades.Several elements thresher to make this mbt women shoes definitely not-for-the-faint-hearted footwear quite unique. You mbt shoes usa should have no hitch taxing these shoes gives the mbt discount shoes In truth, they’ll work particularly well with tiresome MBT Chapa these shoes with most of your attire, as quilting is curious MBT Lami as they’ll fit nicely underneath them so you can make. First off, the quality MBT Lami Shoes of these shoes is more comfortable MBT M Walk and excluding vigorous on apparel such as MBT M Walk Shoes jackets or bags. Second, the addition of the year whichever. Given thei mbt walking shoes supreme comfort, discreet fashion and other activities more regularly encountered on the base and legs, a retrieve that bunchy MBT Chapa ankle look. Lastly, the patented PF Flyers technology MBT Chapa shoes uses a category of thrust enclosure to a picture high-top, these won’t get away with any tapered pants in your pants.

2/26/2010 03:30:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home