Thursday, April 21, 2005

Sometimes It's Nice To Be Reminded...

that comics are awesome. Christopher Butcher provides that valuable service today. In these days when maliase over stupid event comics permeates a lot of the net, it's nice to see someone genuinely happy that people are enjoying comcis and talking about work they're passionate about. I don't have a problem with peopel voicing their displesure with comics they aren't fond of, but it's still good to see somebody besides Pol viewing the glass as half full. He really wins me over with this last line, too: "Buy something with passion and skill and that you'll enjoy. You'll feel much happier for it!"


Blogger Brian Cronin said...








4/21/2005 04:38:00 PM  
Blogger Brad Curran said...

What, having a link to the damn thing isn't enough?

4/21/2005 04:43:00 PM  
Blogger Brian Cronin said...

No, you must shout it from every rooftop.

4/21/2005 04:50:00 PM  
Blogger Brian Cronin said...

Although, I will split the baby.

I will add Mssr. Butcher's place to our link list.

4/21/2005 04:51:00 PM  
Blogger Pól Rua said...

Comics should be good.
See that's interesting thing. There's an unspoken assumption that because they SHOULD be good, that right now, they aren't.
And it's easy to feel that way, when superhero comics seem intent on dragging us back into the maxi-event polybag speculatormania of the late 90's.
But seriously, comics ARE good.

Are all comics good? No.
Are most comics good? No.

But Sturgeon's rule applies. 90% of everything is crap. How are comics faring against movies, books, music, these days... everywhere you look, there's crap.
And it's easy to let it overwhelm you, if that's your focus.

S'why I choose to ignore the crap for the most part.

Greg made a post earlier called "Put your hands on the wheel, let the Golden Age begin", and I'm with him here.
He focussed on creator ownership, but I think we're in another golden age of comics for another reason. Diversity.

I look at the comics in the store and I'm seeing 100 Bullets, and Nil, and Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, and Fruits Basket, and Incal, and Sin City, and Grimjack, and The Goon, and Powerpuff Girls, and the list goes on...

Crime. Humour. Science Fiction. Satire. Horror. Fantasy.

Stuff from Europe, Japan, South America, Australia.

Stuff for boys, for girls, for goths, for nerds, for hepcats, for mature readers, for kids.


I'm reading Paul Grist's Kane and loving it.
Grimjack is back by Ostrander and Truman and I'm loving it.
Robert Rodriguez & Frank Miller's film adaption of Sin City looks the business and I'm loving it.
Nil: A Land Beyond Belief, from Slave Labour Press has knocked my socks almost clean off, and I'm loving it.
Scurvy Dogs makes me laff like a bastard and I'm loving it.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm having a BALL reading comics right now. We are in a new Golden Age, and if you can't see it, maybe you need to change what you're reading.
Do it.
There's so much good stuff out there, there's not need to be reading stuff that's pissing you off. G'wan. Do it.

You know you wanna.

4/21/2005 09:32:00 PM  
Blogger cheng said...

What do you know Perfect World Gold. And do you want to know? You can Buy Perfect World Gold here. And welcome to our website, here you can play games, and you will get Perfect World Silver to play game. I know Perfect World money, and it is very interesting. I like playing online games. Do you want a try, come and view our website, and you will learn much about cheap Perfect World Gold. Come and join with us. We are waiting for your coming.

3/25/2009 10:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home