Thursday, March 24, 2005

No introduction needed (but I'll give you one anyway).

Okay, so having figured out how to post in my tried and true "wander around aimlessly until you find the answer" manner, I'll get my introduction post out of the way so we can all get on with our lives.

My name is Robert Bradley Curran, but I go by Brad, and hate being called Bradley. Having told you all this, I expect someone to call me Bradley from now until one of us is dead. I'm 22, I'm a college student majoring in English and minoring in history, with my eye towards becoming a teacher and molding the young minds of the future while I work on my fiction writing. In this, I believe I am a trailblazer. But I'll believe anything.

Oh, you want me to talk about something having to do with comics? Well, I am partial to the odd bit of sequential storytelling. I started reading comics around the time I started to talk. I was weaned on Alf and GI Joe comics before moving on to Spider-Man, Batman, and finally, Chris Claremont's X-Men, via the X-Men Classic reprints. For better or worse, that had a huge influence on molding the way I look at comics. Like a lot of people, I stopped picking up comics regularly when I hit puberty. Oddly, I can't rememeber why. I just sort of drifted away, picking the odd one here or there at the grocery store. I didn't get interested in picking them up regularly again until I read that this Grant Morrison guy was doing good X-Men comics. This, I had to see. One issue of New X-Men later, I was hooked again. (Coincidentally, this is what led me to the CBR forums, which is where I met Cronin, which eventually led to my being invited to this blog. So blame Grant if you hate my stuff. His reaction will probably be priceless. Maybe).

Since then, I've expanded my horizons a bit. I've read high fallutin' graphic novels like Jimmy Corrigan and From Hell. I've been transfixed by Garth Ennis' ultraviolent morality tales and fallen in love with Jaime Hernandez's Locas. I really want more comics more comics that aren't capes and tights fantasies. But I still love me some superheroes. I like to think I'm more discerning than the average reader. At the very least, I won't buy just anything with my favorite characters in it or keep buying a comic I hate out a desire to have a full run. It helps that I couldn't afford to read every Spider-Man comic even if I wanted to. Anyway, I love the comics medium, and I also love superheroes. I think you can be a fan of both. I plan on writing about this and anything else that strikes my fancy in the coming months. Mainly because Cronin demanded that I post regularly on pain of death should I fail. Sure, he seems nice before you join his blog...

To sum up for those who do not want to read an overly long introductory post: I'm Brad Curran, age 22, love all kinds of comics including superheroes, and blame Grant Morrison if I suck. That covers it nicely, and makes suckers out of the people that did read the body of the post. I think I've achieved what I wanted to do.

7 Comments:

Blogger Spencer Carnage said...

GI Joe is like the marijuana of comics. I started out when a friend of mine who couldn't read good asked me to help him with his GI Joe. From there I was hooked.

As for my second relapse into comics, I blame Warren Ellis and John Cassady's work on Planetary. Morrison is good, but after rereading his New X-men, his characterization and dialogue make me want to punch him in the balls. He's still good, but reading shit like him telepathically speaking with Jean Grey and saying "I read you loud and clear, Jean. Now stay out of my fantasies", that was just plain bad.

Welcome to one of the best comic blogs on the net.

3/24/2005 10:45:00 AM  
Anonymous Brad Curran said...

I disagree with you about the characterization and dialogue in New X-Men and certainly wouldn't advocate scrotum punching, that's kind of irrevlavent as to why it had a big impact on me after years of not reading monthly comics.

What grabbed me about NXM was that I had never read a comic like that before. Claremont's X-Men was my first superhero love, but I also strated reading the other X-Books and stuff like Amazing Spider-Man in the early '90's, so art wise, I was weaned on Jim Lee, Rob Liefeld, Todd McFarlane, Eric Larsen and all of their clones (and yet, I never read an Image comic until recently. Okay, maybe one issue of Spawn).

Morrison's writing (where are all the captions and thought bubbles?) and Quitely's art (it's so efficient!) were a revelation. Whereas I imagine a lot of X-fans were repulsed by their styles, I was enthralled. I really didn't know their were comics like that before. It really changed how I looked at the medium and how comics could be done, maybe as much as something like Watchmen or Maus, just because it assaulted my preconceptions first.

3/24/2005 12:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Brad again (are you sick of me yet?) said...

Oh yeah, and thanks for the welcome, Spencer.

3/24/2005 12:52:00 PM  
Blogger Spencer Carnage said...

Don't get me wrong, I liked Morrison's New X-men. Turning the whole Weapon X thing on its head by calling it Weapon Ten as well as linking it to Captain America and Nuke was brilliant. Just some parts of his dialogue really rubbed me the wrong way. Go back to the issue where the U-men are attacking the mansion and Jean starts to exhibit the Phoenix Force again and read it. Don't know about you, but that's not how the X-men talked when I loved them. I think Whedon's characterization of the X-men is much better than Morrison's. Morrison is Mr. This-is-gonna-blow-their-little-fan-boy-minds about everything. He's damn good, but little things like that irked me.

3/24/2005 05:34:00 PM  
Blogger Bill Reed said...

I was gonna guess "Bradford."

But yes, I loved New X-Men, too... maybe it helped that I always hated the X-Men before I chanced upon NXM #114...

3/24/2005 11:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Bradley J. Curran said...

I Googled my own name just for the hell of it, and laughed out loud when I read yours! I'm Bradley J. Curran, and I hate being called "Brad"! But to many people, I'm known as Brad Curran. Too funny.

I'm a 46-year-old professional interior designer who grew up on many of the same comic books, and while I haven't read any in a long time, I've been enjoying the Spiderman and X-Men movie franchises!

There's also a Bradley J. Curran who works for the aerospace industry in the U.S., so that makes at least three of us between Canada and south of the border.

10/12/2006 12:22:00 PM  
Blogger cheng said...

What do you know maple mesos. And do you want to know? You can get mesos here. And welcome to view our website, here you can play games, and you will get cheap mesos to play game. I know maplestory mesos, and it is very interesting.Do you want a try, come and view our website, and you will learn much about maple story mesos. Come and join with us. We are waiting for your coming.

3/25/2009 10:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home