Thursday, March 31, 2005

I'm Posting Something About Countdown to Infinite Crisis...

... But only because some of it made my pal Stony laugh in IMs, and I'm nothing if not a big fan of recycling.

DC Countdown isn't good enough for me to keep pestering Stony about not picking up with his weekly comic (although I did get some cruel but humorous mileage out of hinting at the ending for about a week, since I saw a preview copy. But really, it's not that bad, either. I don't feel like I wasted a dollar. It's competently done both in writing and art, although I can't tell who did what in the writing or the art, which really is a bad sign. It just perplexes me how they thought writing a story like this about the Blue Beetle and Booster Gold was a good idea. It's like deciding to do an ultra serious Laurel and Hardy story.

Beetle gets to look competent and heroic enough, even if the majority of the story plays up his inferiority complex (or, in other, hammers home the idea that he's a loser with a Mark Millar-esque sledgehammer lack of subtlety). But, much like what they did with the Elongated Man and Sue in Identity Crisis, I don't get why they decided to throw these light hearted comedic characters in to the angst blender in the name of launching a big event. I'm not outraged, just genuinely perplexed at how they read the Giffen/DeMatties Justice League and came up with this. If that's what happened. Even if they just scrolled down the "characters we can kill" list and picked the Blue Beetle, I still have a hard time comprehending why they'd give him narration lifted from Frank Miller's Batman.

I called it an 80 page commercial in the comment section to Brian's thread about it, but I do have to give Rucka, Johns and Winnick credit for at least making the trailers for the upcoming mini-series fit in to the story. That said, the only mini-series I'm interested in of the five spinning out of this story is Rann-Thangar War, which I was already thinking about buying anyway. It actually turned me off of Villains United a bit, which was the only other one in the bunch I had the slightest bit of interest in. I may still give it a try, because I like what I've read of Gail Simone's work.

So, this excursion in to Dan Didio's corner of the DCU didn't do much for me one way or the other. I'm still quite happy to buy things outside of it (I've gushed enough about the opening issues of 7 Soldiers to make that clear), though, and hey, at least I'm not outraged. If they were looking to not be offensive, then they succeeded with at least one reader!

Spell Check Hullabaloo!- One of the words spell check suggested in place of Didio was tedious. So that's Bendis and Didio it doesn't like. I wonder if it has a blog?


Blogger Christopher Burton said...

I've vicariously learned the details and impressions of the book here and on the CBR message boards because, like Identity Crisis, I don't plan to read it, but I'm morbidly curious, I guess. Based on what people are saying, I have to think that Keith Giffen and J.M. DeMatteis must have shat in Dan Didio's Wheaties. He seems intent on dismantling and debasing everything they did during their Justice League run. It's one thing to want to develop the characters, but I think it can be done while being mindful and respectful of what's gone before.

3/31/2005 09:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Both BB and BG were written "serious" in their solo titles.

3/31/2005 09:55:00 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

And that's probably why those solo titles didn't last too long.

Brad, your spellcheck adventures amuse me greatly.

4/01/2005 09:11:00 AM  
Anonymous John DiBello said...

"I have to think that Keith Giffen and J.M. DeMatteis must have shat in Dan Didio's Wheaties. He seems intent on dismantling and debasing everything they did during their Justice League run."

So true. Any day now, I expect that next up in the DC Universe: Guy Gardner gets raped, Oberon becomes addicted to hormones and steroids, and Kooey-Kooey-Kooey is revealed to be actually Cthulhu-Cthulhu-Cthulhu.

Bwah. Ha, Ha, Ha.

4/01/2005 09:48:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home