Friday, March 25, 2005

A Corollary to the Previous Post: A funny thing happened at the local comic shop this week...

... I met a Rob Liefeld fan.

Now, I'm not saying it's funny that there are Rob Liefeld fans. No matter how much everyone seems to hate him, he sold a lot of comics in heyday, and not all of those people were completists or speculators. So, I mean, there had to be at least a dozen people bying YOUNGDEATHBLOODSTRIKEBRIGADE with foil embossed covers. It's not like I haven't met the odd fan of his online, either. I mean, at one time, Millarworld had a huge thread for him to interact with his fans (if you think I'm going to go check their new incarnation to see if he has one there, well, obviously you are underestimating how lazy I am).

That said, I'd never met anyone who would admit to liking his work in the flesh before. So what did I, the champion of subjectivity in comics judgement, say to this man whose taste I disagreed with? Did I respect his opinion and move on?

No. I told him why Liefeld was awful. I talked about the lack of feet, the terrible anatomy, the tracing of other people's panels, the knee high mountains, for fuck's sake! I laid it all out for him. He didn't really have much to say in defense, except that he thought it was cool that they killed that guy in Youngblood #1.

So, vindicated by my laying his inferior taste low, I tried to start another conversation. And then, the shop owner, who I had earlier professed my love of Mike Mignola's work to, said "Hey, Mignola doesn't draw feet either." He proceeded to show me a Hellboy cover where, indeed, you couldn't see my favorite paranormal investigator with a red right hand's feet. In fact, they were covered by, what another shopkeep estimated, was the the longest trench coat he had ever seen.

I tried to protest, but they had me, at least until I could go back and read through my Hellboy trades and look for feet. I could have talked about how Mignola's a better story teller, and how he can actually write, and how Roger the Homonculus and Abe Sapien are 10 times cooler than anything Liefeld's done ever. But it was moot. Because I didn't really have a right to be making fun of this guy's taste on an empirical level when mine could be attacked, too.

But still, Mignola rules and Liefeld sucks. Yeah, I talk in circles. But at least I didn't deny you Batman again.


Blogger Chad said...

I was going to post something about how Liefeld really is a great comic genius and cement my position as the tool of CSBG, but, man, there's no way....

But you know what's weird? I OWN Liefeld comics. And I couldn't for the life of me tell you why. it makes no sense. I abhor his stuff beyond imagination. But I have things he's drawn. I think I must have multiple personality disorder or there's an evil imp who comes to torture me and leave Liefled stuff.....

but you knwo what Mignola does that Liefeld doesn't?


3/25/2005 07:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Brad Curran said...

I know why I have Liefeld comics. I was 7. But I do still have all but one issue of his X-Force run. Including the issue Mignola did as a fill-in. Which ties everything together. I'm glad I never got in to the Image stuff he did. Or any of the founders, even though I followed all of them (okay, not Valentino) at Marvel. I guess I was against creators rights as a kid.

3/26/2005 02:13:00 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

I also know why I have Liefeld comics, and I can't even say I was 7. Back in those days I was more of a completist, so I have his New Mutants stuff. I think I have the first few issues of X-Force as well. I hope I won't have to resort to self-flagellation for my sins.

3/26/2005 02:16:00 PM  
Anonymous sean witzke said...

well, Mike Mignola is the inheritor to the Spirit of Jack Kirby...
Liefield is [accordingm to all reports] a cool guy who loves comics who has absolutely no talent.
so who cares about drawing feet?

3/26/2005 03:03:00 PM  
Blogger Brad Curran said...

Got me there.

3/26/2005 04:05:00 PM  
Anonymous Mike Loughlin said...

I know why I bought Liefeld comics: he drew big super-people with big muscles and big guns who were always fighting. He drew lots and lots of lines. At age 12, that was cool.

In fact, I hated that Mignola fill-in. Why did they have this guy, who didn't draw 10 million lines per face, make Cable (cool superguy with big gun) look like an old man?

As to why I still own them:

1) I never throw anything out;

2) no one will buy my X-Forces and Youngbloods :(

3/28/2005 08:20:00 AM  
Anonymous Tit Luca said...

Excellent, that was really well explained and helpful

11/16/2005 10:55:00 AM  
Anonymous Tit Luca said...

I am interested in your blogs.

11/18/2005 03:59:00 PM  
Blogger cheng said...

What do you know LOTRO Gold. Do you want to have a try? You can get Lord Of The Rings Gold here. And welcome to our website, here you can play games, and you will buy LOTRO Gold to play game. Do you want a try, come and view our website, and you will learn much about cheap Lord Of The Rings Gold. Come and join with us. We are waiting for your coming.

3/25/2009 09:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home