Sunday, March 27, 2005

Comics Should Be Good for Christians

On this, the day that our Christian nerd brethren celebrate the resurrection of their God, I wonder; are there any good comics out there with heavy Christian themes? The comic version of something like Touched by an Angel, but good (and without a name that allows you to make puerile sex jokes)? I'm not really the audience, but it's a pretty big one, and I have to think that there are comics besides Chick Tracts that are made specifically for that audience. And no, I'm not counting Blankets here. It doesn't strike me as a Christian themed book, the way I define it. Tell me why I'm wrong, though, those of you that practice one denomination of the religion.

The only comics I've read with over Christian themes since I started reading comics again are Doug TenNapel's two black and white Graphic Novels, Creature Tech and Tommysaraus Rex. They're both sci-fi/adventure stories; Creature Tech is a Morrison-esque wild idea filled romp featuring a giant killer cat, the Shroud of Turin, and a main character who is symbiotically bonded to a kung-fu mantis. It's a lot of fun. But there is a bit of a science vs. religion debate between the main character and his father, who is a man of the cloth, which is referenced in the ending. There's also a pivotal plot point that involves heavy Christian imagery.

Tommysaraus Rex is essentially what Iron Giant would be like if Hogarth had found a friendly T-Rex instead of a robot, and had been picked on by a bully. Again, it's a fun story, but the ending displays a very Christian moral which I was kind of annoyed by, even if it's a good moral. I do have to say that it wasn't heavy handed, at least as much as it could be.

Even if you aren't a Christian, you should give these comics a look, because they're fun, different, and I don't think TenNapel gets nearly enough respect or attention as an Indy creator. To those Christians in the audience (if we have one); are there any comics out there that speak to your faith? Are there Good Comics for Christians that I'm missing? Or is it just TenNapel and Chick out there, on insanely opposite ends of the spectrum?


Blogger Bill said...

I found a copy of Spire Christian Comics's "Hello, I'm Johnny Cash" not too long ago that I picked purely for the kitsch value, but it kinda surprised me how much it didn't suck. It's a fairly sanitized version of his life (if you want the good parts, read his autobiography Cash), but it's a good, really almost inspiring story of how his faith helped turn things around for him. The art is wildly uneven and the story stops to awkwardly shill for his then-current Jesus movie, The Gospel Road, but it's a decent enough book, and surprisingly low key and accepting for a Spire book.

3/27/2005 11:06:00 PM  
Blogger Loren said...

The best 'Christian' comic that comes to mind is Pakkins' Land. It has a fair bit in common with the Narnia books.

Marvel printed a very Christian comic called The Illuminator for four issues. It...wasn't so good. Very over-the-top and preachy (the hero gets his powers from God and fights real demons and stuff).

3/27/2005 11:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to say Ostrander/Mandrake's run on SPECTRE, but as I recall, it was all that big on the christian theme of Forgiveness... very much Old Testament... But, as Brain pointed out, it was definitely spiritual...

And there was that thing that Mike Allred did, illustrating the Mormon bible, which I wanted to read but couldn't find any copies of, THE GOLDEN PLATES, I believe it was called


3/29/2005 06:37:00 AM  
Blogger Brad Curran said...

"And there was that thing that Mike Allred did, illustrating the Mormon bible, which I wanted to read but couldn't find any copies of, THE GOLDEN PLATES, I believe it was called"

Yeah, I couldn't find a copy at any of the shops around. Not that I was suprised. Guess I'll have to look around online. Or I could try the Christian Book Shop, but I might explode if I walk in there.

3/29/2005 05:30:00 PM  
Anonymous said...

To my mind everybody have to glance at it.

12/04/2011 03:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home